Agnostic.com

4 3

China: unmistakable signs of Trumpism?
Since the covid-19 pandemic started 22 months ago, China has locked down, severely restricting flights in and out of the country, as well as an ideological shuttering within its borders.
Authorities are using the public health crisis to stoke the fires of nationalism, encourage a return to traditional values, silence liberal voices, and attack with increasing shrillness the "pollution" of Western values, including democracy, press freedom, and an independent judiciary.
It doesn't take a political scientist to see this as "Trumpism on steroids," in the nationalist intolerance for dissenting voices, and the call for a conservatist return to the cultural and ideological past.
All this looks to be, in part, a reaction to U.S. trade restrictions and strident criticism of the top-down, authoritarian nature of the Chinese government, by the previous leadership.
One notable example is the decision by some highly-visible U.S. officials to induce dissident Chinese scientists to lie about the genesis of the Covid virus, as a pretext for broader attacks, in a bid to destabilize the regime.
Trump loyalists like Steve Bannon, who arranged for the covert escape of a Hong Kong virologist, Yan Li-Meng, who as a harbored and coached fugitive, agreed to misuse her credentials to parrot misinformation, such as the covid-19 strain had "markers," proving it was produced by genetically altering a similar coronavirus and, in all likelihood, deliberately released it.
This was just one avenue of attack, as Trump, possibly influenced by Bannon--a fanatical foe of the communist regime since his military service in the region,--kept up a steady drumbeat of hostile snti-Chinese rhetoric, as well as launching a confrontational trade war by imposing prohibitive tarrifs on raw materials and some consumer goods, to some extent aggravating an overall slowdown of the Chinese economy.
Militarily, China has also become increasingly assertive in the South China Sea, increasing "defense" spending, opening military bases, and seeking to expand it's "sphere of influence."
At the same time, it has initiated an ambitious infrastructure construction program to connect it by roads, airports and harbors, to the neighboring countries in southeast Asia.
While not all of this is Trump's doing, of course, there is no question his administration started a cultural, political, and economic war using every tool at his disposal, including a propaganda campaign built on some fact, half-truths, and outright lies, in a fashion so recognizable to his many critics in the U.S.
Thus the damage done by the former president's policies, including it's corrosively subversive elements, continue to reverberate, both at home and abroad, China being one particularly evident example, one with potentially disastrous long-term consequences..

Storm1752 8 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pretty much

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 16, 2021

Seems like ripple effect to possibly sunami

Bad analogy::::: China's traditions are all oppressive. Of course the fascists want everyone to act like it was yesterday.

Trump wants less oppression. AS ALL OF US SHOULD!

When you say "fascists," to whom are you referring? Like WHAT was yesterday?
So you think Trump is a champion of human rights, is that it?
What about American civil rights? No, he had/has simplistic policies based on fantasies, but he knew they'd play well with tobacco-chewin' Ned down at the Feed and Seed, so he went with it. The oligarchs are certainly eating it up. They know his clown show is distracting the yahoos from what is REALLY going on!
Then like the megalomaniacal would-be dictator he thinks he is, he proceeded to go see if he could throw his weight around, and it's backfiring.
The truth is, he's been a miserable failure at everything he's ever done, but somehow blustered his way through it all. Amazing.

Well here is an older interview with Obama on China. He talks about Iphone and stealing technology, but yet the iPhones are made there. Isn't that just more like curiosity on Chinese end and wanting to understand the very products you make? I think we have a very deep, deep economic alliance with China. I don't think that alliance could get much deeper in fact. Trump did shake it up to some degree. But at what point is international interdependence good and at what point not as good? And who is it good for exactly in the two societies?

And at the end, anchor said Obama said China wants to bring its military up to the level of US. And I am sure 8 years later China has made tremendous strides in this regard. China is very focused and determined. I heard their navy force out does our own. I am sure economics is a big part. I wouldn't be surprised if other aspects of their military are now beginning to overshadow ours.

So you think it's on balance a GOOD thing.
And his Russia policy was good, as well?
And that diplomatic coup he pulled off in Afghanistan! Brilliant.
And pulling us out of climate talks. Another master stroke. Ah, but that's a lost cause anyway, I suppose. The Republicans made sure WE weren't going to lift a finger!
Ah, Trump's wonderful, fascist, corporatist, theocratic, white supremicist Republican party; ah yes, and his spectacular efforts to subvert our democracy and bring on a one-party, plutocratic Theocracy.
Well I DON'T think it's a good idea.
He's made the Chinese regime stronger, and the Chinese people hate us. Stealing intellectual property is one thing, but open political warfare is another. He's made the world a much more dangerous place, as did W. before him with that disastrous Iraq War. Talk about destabilizing a whole region! Yes, you Republicans have a real gift for completely screwing everything up, I have to hand it to you.

@Storm1752 "Militarily, China has also become increasingly assertive in the South China Sea, increasing "defense" spending, opening military bases, and seeking to expand it's "sphere of influence." And don't forget the emergence of covid. If you think there would be no reaction to that, you are wrong.

Afghanistan is now all Trump? Watch out because you are feeding the idea that Biden is not in control at all but controlled by other, powerless. I myself think Biden was very much in control to our response to Afghanistan.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:633984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.