Agnostic.com

9 0

Who were your role models growing up, and why?

GoodMan 7 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The fictional Kwai Chang Caine (portrayed by David Carradine) in the Kung Fu tv series. I was about 10 years old, I was impressed with the philosophy and how he dealt with the various challenges in non-violent ways, unlike my school friends who were just interested in the martial arts. It's probably why I became a pacifist.

My step dad, he raised 4 kids that were not his own, he's a hard worker and has always been there for my siblings and I. Him and my mother were together for 20+years before they married they are the definition of true love. If I could be half the person he is I know I'll do great things in life.

That is wonderful! A story of true love for the kids and mom. In my mind, this is way of a real man. He may not have been the father (biological), but showed enough love to be a good dad. ????????

George Carlin, my father introduced me to his standup at a early age around 11.
The cast of the ORIGINAL star trek, loved watching it growing up.
But mostly my great aunts and uncles, they were in there 70s when I was born and lived well into there 80s and 90s. When we had family gatherings I would sit on the porch with them and just listen soaking up everything they had to say. To this day I love spending time with the elders of the comunity, volunteering at the senior center even working there. There's so much to be learned from them and yet they are a forgotten part of our modern society.

Awww, seems like decent family members; dad, great uncles and aunts (the elders), and George Carlin. I call that “The sponge mentality” soaking up that wisdom ????????

Trying to soak it up but realizing as I get older that history repeats itself on a infinite scale..

My first memory of a role model was speed racer. Then later it was Spock from Star Trek. Around 12 or 13 it was Mary Ann from Gilligans Island. To be fair, she might not have been as much a role model but an immature crush.

There are plenty of Trekkies (Star Trek) with crushes on Mary Ann, and we liked her role ????????

LMAO

The Goblin King from Labyrinth. I decided if I could live in a giant maze, dance around and have goblins do my bidding I'd be pretty satisfied. That never quite panned out though.

???? Wishful thinking..lol ????????

Honestly...nobody really lol, maybe my dad, but it was more of he taught me what type of person i wanted to be more than that i wanted to be like him

How did your dad teach you this?

taking me out and meeting alot of types of people, letting me explore things on my own

They were not my parents. My mother was physically and emotionally abusive; my stepfather molested me (AND my brother) and my father was as silent as a stone. My stepmother was a born-again Christian with a real heart of gold. All of my parents were racists--yes, it's taught just like religious beliefs are taught. I managed to overcome both and I credit my teachers and my intense love for science of all kinds which I still cherish to this day.

Oh, and Carl Sagan. His show, Cosmos, was utterly fascinating to me. He brought real science right into our living room and made it real for me. He was magical and he made science appealing in a way that no other scientist had ever done. He was the "founder" of science shows and science channels because he made it so interesting and he was able to take about scientific concepts in layman's terms. He was like a god to me.

Wow, must’ve been tough to overcome, but you did. Good for you ????????

I didn’t intend the question marks. Sorry

Thank you. I "overcame" with the help of several therapists off and on over ten years. Best money I ever spent in my life. I finally confronted my mother but the results were exactly what my therapist and I thought they would be.

Anyway, I finally decided to be a survivor and not play the victim anymore. That changed a lot of things for the better. It's been an interesting life. I wouldn't be who I am today without learning how to overcome the obstacles that I was given.

We all have our own journey and our own obstacles and lessons to learn. I am certain you have faced challenges in your life. Most of us survive them in tact or even better having learned from the experience.

this will sound dumb but optimus prime and goku and hear me out, I had a cruddy childhood so any real role models didnt exist for me because no one i knew acted on any moral standing as far as i saw. So these fictional characters who were who i took guidance from because no matter the risk to themselves, they always did what was best for all and not just for themselves. The benefit of others were more important to them, no matter who they were or what they believed.

That doesn’t seem down mb to me. Fictional characters are often used as surrogates, and teach great lessons ????????

I admired Leonardo da Vinci, and other jack-of-all-trades historical characters. I wanted, and still want to learn everything and understand as much as I can of the entire universe at all scales. I understand, as a realistic grown-up, why specialization is good, and why I need to pick certain subjects and stick to them, but deep down I am still not convinced and I still want to learn/study/research it all.

I’m also insatiable in my quest for knowledge and understanding.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:634
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.