Agnostic.com

13 21

A group of male, gun-rights jerks celebrated Rittenhouse's murder acquittal.

They waved American flags and large signs with "FREEDOM" and the menacing coiled snake, "DON'T TREAD ON ME." At a main traffic intersection in town.

This verdict of not guilty is a miscarriage of justice and an indictment of our broken criminal justice system. A white teenager got his hands on a semi-automatic rifle, showed up to a demonstration for Black Lives, fatally shot Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber, wounded Gaige Grosskreutz, and he wasn't held accountable.

And it's exactly what the NRA wants—a society where anyone can have a gun anywhere with no training and no questions asked, and where people feel emboldened to shoot anyone over the slightest provocation without fear of consequences.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I expected nothing less. And it's sickening....

It does sometimes seem that way.

Unfortunately, too many (mostly male) mistake guns for masculinity and bravery. Paternalism will not go out without a fight (which includes guns). Perhaps the barrels of guns are symbolic.

I think our country is on a slide that it won't recover from unfortunately...

I agree.

@Buddha, @Organist1

In America, there are more guns than people. It's horrifying.

Ten years ago, I was asked to be the Eastern Washington coordinator for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. I turned it down. I feared being shot and killed at a rally by a crazy gun zealot.

Men carrying AR-15 assault rifles invade Moms Demand Action meetings. These jerks stand in the back looming over the women. Carrying a gun is an implied threat of violence.

I think I’m amazed that it took you this longer to realize it.

@MsKathleen I've actually thought that for a long time...

The gullible have been empowered by 4 years of Trump. He supports anarchy and does not hate and like all that his supporters do. This is the illusion that is created and white supremacy thinks this is all "freedom" for the white man. It simply is not so. The Kyle Rittenhouse verdict will certainly bring out more people just like him in a short time.

I watched the opinion of Amber Ruffin on her show and then went to her Facebook page to comment. A middle aged white man saw my post and approval of what Amber said, then replied that he was "surprised that I could not see through all this and that I believed all the hype of the media on this issue of the trial." I had to answer that his words were exactly what I would say to him. The only addition was that he was very gullible in my opinion. We each believed the same thing but in a different way. I believe in justice for all. He believes in justice for his own.

Follow that trial and you might see that the judge treated Kyle like he was his own son. If a person of color had of done this he would be facing a lot of jail time. What is the big difference and why do we have that difference? If you wear a red hat or come from the white supremacy crowd you just will not get this.

All of this is going to get much worse.

We are seeing authoritarian fascism rising step by step. Germany 1935 all over again.

@mischl This garbage has been simmering since well before the Civil War and Reconstruction.

It started ramping up during the 50s and 60s.
By the time Reagan took office, it was moving full speed ahead.
Most (white) people didn't even notice. Most of them thought we had all this "racial stuff" sorted.
Far from it.

It's never been just black people either.
It's always been all people of color.
Always.
It's always been everyone, from every other place in the world.
It's always been anyone seen as different.

This entire continent, and nearly every other, was stolen from the indigenous people who were already here.
White, "christian" men came here with their "divine purpose" and basically enslaved and slaughtered anyone they deemed less than themselves.

Too many white people are completely ignorant of history.
They have no idea how we got here.
And they're real fucking defensive about the need to fix things.

@KKGator Well said, Ms. Gator.

@mischl Thanks. I really wish I was wrong, but I'm not.

It won't surprise me if we see more armed thugs at any large protest in the future. They'll come eager for someone to step out of line and then there will be more deaths of innocent people. These people hate liberals, gays, blacks, and pretty much any other minorities that aren't like them and are gleefully eager to kill.

Personally, I think the Rittenhouse acquittal is not just a huge blow to our judicial system but will also help spread the disease of injustice, racism, bigotry, and hatred in this country.

Now we just have to sit back and wait for the next Kyle Rittenhouse. I give it less than 6 months before something like this happens again.

Sadly you are right Charles1971. I believe Rittenhouse will be in trouble again soon because he thinks he’s Teflon now and can kill anyone who he feels is stepping out of line. It will be vigilante justice.

@Redheadedgammy I didn't mean Rittenhouse specifically, though that's very plausible, but rather some other person who will be emboldened by Rittenhouse's actions and subsequent acquittal who will take their hate-filled idea of the law into their own hands.

@Charles1971 you’re so right. Now other Rittenhouse wannabes will step forward for their 15 minutes of fame. ☹️

It was a travesty but as I said in an earlier post on this subject, the prosecutor did a horrible job, and this is why he got off. The kid murdered two people because he was where he should not have been! Of course another member didn’t agree and finally told me to fuck off and blocked me. I suppose it’s just hard for some people to accept that not everyone see’s things the way they do.

You don’t think the prosecutor doing a horrible job was intentional?

@MsKathleen yes, I kind of do now. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt at first, and then thought why is he doing such a crappy job? He may have been doing his best against a judge who was all in with the defense, but I have started thinking maybe this was all a big show for all the gun nuts.

@Redheadedgammy nail, meet hammer.

Fascism is on the rise, here and around the world. It's time for the supporters of democracy to work together and be strong. We can see that it won't be easy. I can't imagine what failure will mean in the future.

I’m glad my days are numbered.

@MsKathleen I feel the same way.

@MsKathleen I will be with the resistance...all the way. I'm too old to get out in the streets and fight, but I have some other tools I'll use.

@mischl oh, no one should underestimate what you, I, or other “old folks” are willing to do, as long as we are still around. After all, we have the least to lose. But it won’t be “over” while we exist.

KR was charged, tried and a jury found him not guilty. You didn’t hear or see the evidence and no one explained Wisconsin law to you.

Those jerks are jerking you around the way Trump jerks his sheep around.

True assholes

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 20, 2021

There's really no win here. If someone thinks that they won something, I wouldn't know what that is.

twill Level 7 Nov 20, 2021

You're right! We can all play cowboys & Indians and indulge our inner fantasies. What fun! The option to murder without consequences!

Sadly that is what others like this kid will do. I don’t know what we as a society can do anymore.

@Redheadedgammy I’m with you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:635055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.