Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK "Dash for Cash" stunt demeans teachers, critics say

If this kind of demeaning stunt is done anywhere else in the world, I'd like to know. Otherwise Americans have just demonstrated a new disgusting low. Demeaning educators and putting billionaires on the cover of Time.

redbai 8 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Abhorrent practice

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 14, 2021

And @TheMiddleWay wonders why I hate humans. They are greedy, shitty, awful creatures.

@TheMiddleWay There is likely an INFINITESIMALLY small portion of the population that lives in harmony with mankind and their environment at large. I personally know or know of zero people who wouldn't be classified as awful. I'm sure there may be some, but it would be such a small percentage it couldn't possibly be redeeming for humans collectively.

@TheMiddleWay You may have missed the parameters and the fact that the condemnation is for humans collectively. By these parameters, I consider myself awful, too. I produce a bunch of trash, I drive a sports car, I eat meat, etc. and I'm still not a tenth as bad for the environment as anyone that had a kid.
Do I think almost every human severely negatively impacts the planet? Yes.
Do I think we've constructed a framework in which it's next to impossible to live a "normal" life without behaving awfully? Also yes.
I don't blame each individual personally, but collectively, we're trash.

@TheMiddleWay But that's my point, humans can't behave in a manner that's sustainable. Even if some try, others will exploit it as a weakness, take advantage, and their greed will cause them to capitalize on it. And it's not like it's just going to be a switch that gets flipped (barring an extinction-level event first) and the shit's uninhabitable, it's likely going to be a progressive, exponential decline into unimaginable suffering for humans and animals alike.

That, however, is not to say that we owe anything per se, but our behavior is definitionally greedy. Somewhere along the way there were mutations or many generations of advantages from greed bred into humans and the ability to exploit it in an unparalleled, and since unduplicated, way. Like I said, I'm not saying it's our fault, and before this goes down the rabbit hole, I'll concede now that if there is an objective morality it's currently unknown and probably unknowable, but without going that far, I think that these natural processes that honed and amplified greed and selfishness produced a shit-awful species.

I would like to add, again, that pretty much all of my other stances on things were formulated before I realized just how awful humans are, so your claim that my worldview is so much different than yours because of this is inaccurate. If there's one thing I could get you to understand from all this, it's that.

Sickening! Should be the military industrial complex scrambling for funds!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:639239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.