Agnostic.com

3 1

Olaf Stapledon and STARMAKER

In 1937 Olaf Stapledon published STARMAKER, a philosophical Science Fiction novel that took the form of a biography of the creator of the universe. The creator of many universes actually and also a history of our particular universe.

For its time, the scope of the book was astounding. Even today, few have come close in terms depth of concept.

I have never been given the idea that Stapledon was a true believer. He described himself as agnostic, so this Starmaker was a literary and philosophical device to address creation and creativity. To impose a personality on it from which he could derive monologues on the subject of the universe as a planned, created work.

Stapledon was actually a professor of philosophy who turned to writing SF to reach a broader audience. He did write books of straight and sober philosophy. They are quite interesting and I wish you luck finding "A Modern Theory of Ethics" or "Waking World". So far as I know, they have never been reprinted, but his Science Fiction books live on in edition after edition.

You would do well to seek out Last and First Men, Sirius, Odd John, Darkness and the Light as well as Starmaker as all are excellent reads.

In Starmaker he explores the concept of the meaning and mission of life and the universe.

[gutenberg.net.au]

SKDeitch 7 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love when a book recommendation comes with a link! Thanks.

For anyone able to overlook dated and sometimes rigid language, Stapledon's work is sheer delight. As for Star Maker, one needs to be able to suspend disbelief when it comes to the mode of travel, but it is made a bit easier if one realizes the travel is nothing but a literary device to get to the meat on the bones of an incredible and profound piece of writing.

@SKDeitch, how is it you came across his work? Oh, and you are right, it is one of the best pieces of philosophy cum creative writing ever done.

A journey of the mind....

Thanks very much for these recommendations. I'm always interested in early science fiction.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.