Agnostic.com

3 13

E.O. Wilson, a Pioneer of Evolutionary Biology, Dies at 92

[nytimes.com]

skado 9 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Iā€™m a fan of both Gould and Wilson. There has been plenty of acrimony between both camps. And they have both now passed away along with Lewontin. Gould went long ago šŸ˜¢

[en.wikipedia.org]

He was a truly remarkable scientists. Not surprised at the squabbles, that seems to be standard in the realm of science. Perhaps this is a good time to go. Life has become stressful for many. At least 92 is a good age to go. So far no mention of the cause of death has been given.

As I was reading this CBC2 announced another scientist famous for his work in 'bio-diversity died. [theguardian.com]

Oh, no! What a loss. His field is a fascination for me.

I'm reading a book by John Gray called Straw Dogs which references EO Wilson several times. I am a musician also, that never heard of EO Wilson beforehand. (I said musician not Scolar) Feline Philosophy is another by John Gray which if you like cats, I highly recommend

@CurmudgeonBoy I will check him out. Thanks! I'm reading The Goodness Paradox by Richard Wrangham, another Harvard evolutionary biologist/primatologist. What instrument(s) do you play?

@Organist1 Guitar, but lately mostly acoustic only. Done with being in a band. I was on the road in Western Canada for quite some time late 80's all of the 90's. Much to tell there. Now retired and thinking about it again but only for pleasure and the odd ego stroke. Never married. I will check out The Goodness Paradox. Thanks

@CurmudgeonBoy I play acoustic guitar too. Dylan, blues, Joni Mitchell, Simon and Garfunkel, etc. Do you write songs? I write harp and choral music. I bet you have stories!

@Organist1 I never wrote any songs, didn't have the presumptuous mentality or drive to think anybody would want to listen. Took a songwriting course once that had the stipulation to take a lyric writing course in tandem once. I learned some cool things but never jumped into that pond, or shall I say "ocean" the way it is these days. The only choral music I think I can say I listen to is Bobby McFerrin's Vocabularies. I like his musicality. I play a wide variety (for myself lately) of songs from Paul Simon Sting, Steely Dan some old R&B and the odd blues. Hard to listen to blues for me lately, too predictable.
I do like Joni a lot but don't attempt any of her songs, not even from the Geffen library. Besides you have to re~tune/de~tune half the time to play her songs. When you say Harp, I'm guessing you mean that big thing that Harpo plays in the Marx Bros.

@CurmudgeonBoy You're so right about Joni. I take a few guitars with me to play a set of her music and others, although some of her tunings are compatible with other songs. I play the Celtic harp. Classical is reverved for the organ and piano. Song writing is fun, and everybody has a story to tell. I once heard Chris Smither say that he writes songs by locking himself in his studio until one is created, and doesn't go out until it does. What self-discipline that is! I like your taste in music a lot, but do like the blues. There are quite a few good young blues musicians coming up who are worth listening to.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.