Agnostic.com

10 5

What Christmas Carol do you dislike the most and why?

racocn8 9 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The most annoying is 12 Days of Xmas so that gets my vote. This year I didn't hear any, thank god.

I love the secular carols, open to anyone to enjoy, but I greatly dislike the christian carols, worshipping a little baby, especially when bombarded with them while a captive audience in an MRI one time, and they were coming through my earphones, ack!

I dislike religious carols while shopping, but I just don't spend money in the stores while they're playing and I used to tell the store managers why, but I simply don't go shopping much during the holidays anymore.

I also dislike them during the winter romance movies I like to watch, but thankfully my mute button is right by my side, for all the sappy caroling. ๐Ÿ˜‰

To me all the worshippy songs belong in church, not on the public airwaves.

Seasonal songs are fine with me, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bells, Marshmallow World, Winter Wonderland and the like. My favorite atheist/agnostic song for Christmas time is Tim Minchin's, White Wine in the Sun.

I used to make my own CDs of secular holiday music, so my kids would be familiar with them, but not so much the religious carols.

I agree about Tim Minchin's White Wine in the Sun. ๐Ÿงก I wish it was given more play.

@Lauren I'm sure it has a select audience, not for everyone, but just right for me. I also love it that the proceeds from any digital copy sold goes to charity, so he's not making money off the holiday, fitting since he objects to the commercialization of the religious holiday.

@Julie808 Oh, I just keep loving him more and more! It's just right for me, too.

I actually like most of them. Hark the herald Angels sing has never been one of my favorites though.

Oh little town of Bethlehem. Its just so twee from the first line, makes my skin crawl.

I had to look up "twee" since it's not a familiar word in America!

@Julie808 Its a really useful word. I bet you can't wait for an opportunity to try it out now.

Since I became atheist too many, more and more. I hate this season as all the stations have lots of stupid Jesus songs. Why can't we have more Scrooge songs?

Silent Night. Boring, pedantic, takes itself too seriously, and is hard for most people to sing.

Used to love it as a child - now I can't stand it!

Drummer boy...

Little Drummer Boy. Stupid song about some kid trying to impress a newborn with a drum. Yea... go beat a drum within a 1000 yards of an infant and see how well that goes. Absolutely nobody wants to hear a child playing a drum.

And where is this drummer boy in all the nativity scenes? I was puzzled by that as a child.

pa rump a rump thing kills me.

Little Drummer Boy, and Carol of the Bells. I can't explain why; they're just irritating to me. There are others. Actually, after 45 years of being an organist, damn near every one of them is annoying. There are a few, though, which I think are musically good, and which have good texts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641762
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.