Agnostic.com

8 8

Would a 40-year ski bum interest you?

From the Dictionary of American Slang:

A ski bum is one who, in order to epitomize a snow-loving Peter Pan, avoids all trappings of adulthood. This may include accepting: mediocre to deplorable living situations, jobs that pay in pizza and wearing a nametag that also includes one’s hometown. All of these elements, which would be indignities for anyone else in their 20s, 30s, 40s or beyond, are acceptable to the ski bum, as they are small sacrifices to make on the road to achieving nirvana (nirvana = as many days on the mountain as possible).

A man in California who was a ski bum for forty years contacted me on Fitness Singles. He has long white hair and a big mustache. Ugh.

At age-71, even his username is "ski bum." It's his identity and self-worth.

HIM: Well I do appreciate your sense of humor and I think it matches well with mine. So let’s make the scene Kathleen! Lol it’s ok to be pen pals too don’t cha know?

ME: Thanks for the compliment. I'm not interested in being pen pals with a man who lives in California. Please stop pressuring me.

Then I blocked him.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have dated a number of musicians and artists. They are interesting but can only rarely support themselves and are looking for a place to sleep and free food.

Free food? The heck with that! Lol

Lost opportunities…

@Canndue

Not for me.

@LiterateHiker Curious, what are you actually looking for?

@Canndue

Read my profile. I wrote:

I'm seeking an athletic, intelligent man with a great sense of humor who treats me with respect and kindness. Shared recreational activities are a bonding experience for couples. That's why I want a man who also loves hiking.

Although I'm a good cook, I'm not willing to do all of the meal planning, preparation and cooking. Everyone loves the magic words: "Dinner is served."

Loving relationships work best when we add a certain spirit, an attitude of goodwill. I wouldn't know a grudge if it mugged me. I miss the tender touch, laughter, conversation, intimacy, teamwork and fun of a committed, loving relationship.

@LiterateHiker what part of that did he not fulfill?

@Canndue

All of it. We live too far apart to develop a relationship.

@LiterateHiker seems like distance is your main objection, yet doesn’t say that in your profile.?

@Canndue

Stop criticizing me.

I take it on a case-by-case basis. If he lives 200 miles away and owns a small plane, fine. It takes him 45 minutes to fly to visit me. I dated two men who owned a plane.

I tend to date skiers and hikers from Seattle, 125 miles away. Seattleites tend to be more liberal, better educated and physically fit than local Republican rednecks. Skiers have four-wheel drive and winter driving skills. They can drive over Cascade mountain passes to visit me.

Seattle liberals are far more likely to be vaccinated and boosted.

For six months I dated a doctor in Little Rock, Arkansas. He paid for airline tickets to fly me back-and-forth. He turned out to be egotistical and arrogant. He believed he was far superior to nurses due to his higher education.

"Isn't this beautiful?" I asked when I took him on a hike up Ingalls Creek. "Not really. I've been to Austria," he sniffed. Imagine his surprise when I dumped him.

Here's my joke about single local dudes:

If I wanted a fat, uneducated, good ol' boy, tobacco chewing, anti-vax, anti-mask Republican who loves his Harley, chainsaw and snowmobile and decorates with antlers, I'd be ALL SET.

@LiterateHiker no criticism, merely asked a question

Do you ski?

@Kempster45

I cross-country skied from age 10. Living on a lake in Michigan, Mom and I skied across the frozen lake dragging a toboggan. We grocery shopped and skied home with bags of food. Lots of fun!

After graduating from Univ. of Michigan, I moved to Washington State at age 21. Fell in love with the mountains and became a passionate hiker.

At age 24, I learned to downhill ski. Lost interest in cross-country skiing. It was hard to go back to skis with no edges for turning.

"Stop falling," a doctor said after diagnosing me with osteoporosis at age 65. I laughed.

"On what planet will I stop falling?" I replied. "I hike, run, downhill ski, cross-country ski and ice skate."

With a heavy heart, I hung up my skis and ice skates.

Quit being kind. Block him.

MizJ Level 8 Dec 28, 2021

@MizJ

I did block him.

Interesting. Ski Bum....so the guy does something, has some kind of talent/ interests? You could watch him ski at "the scene" !
The bums around here, they just drink, drug, watch TV and complain. They live with mom & dad, or are homeless.

IDK, Kathleen, he sounds like a keeper....and only in California ! Easy to find too...just look for the big mountain. Not like driving to Indiana and knocking on his parents door.

Think about it.

twill Level 7 Dec 28, 2021

Someone who wants no responsibility, ties, family, attachments etc. Sometimes known as mooches, live off someone else while being charming. Yeah knew a few and would not wish them on anyone.

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 28, 2021

I remembered such a person form my high school days. I asked a friend about him not so long ago and was told that he lives with other people.

@DenoPenno They usually do

Not me personally, actually the only bums I'm interested in are female bums, but that's another story.

Is "bums" a typo ?...just curios!

@Paganlyl it's the british slang for butts.

I'm morbidly fascinated now. In high school in the late 70s I led the houseboat rental section of a local marina. In the summer we kept about 120 pontoon boats going -- 35 ft, 40 ft and 50 ft.

The guy you described could have been one of my dock hands. He was late 30s and lived in campground in a Volkswagen van containing at least one of every outdoor game known to humanity -- from frisbees to lawn darts on down. He was a good friend and worker but I wouldn't wish him on any woman. Ha, ha.🙂

He lived in his own world but I will admit he seemed happy. In the winter he drove up to Utah and worked as a ski instructor. He'd be in his 80s or 90s now if he's still alive.

It's impossible that it would be the same guy, but you definitely got my attention. Ha, ha.😋
Wow. I haven't thought about him in years. Thanks for jogging the memory.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.