Agnostic.com

8 17

LINK U.S. Shatters Daily Record for COVID as Cases Continue Increasing Around the World

The United States shattered its daily record for COVID-19 cases as two highly infectious variants of the virus—delta and omicron—continue to upend daily life across the country. There were a whopping 441,278 infections recorded nationally on Tuesday, which is almost 0,000 more than the previous high from last winter. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention noted that this number may be a tad misleading, as it could include a backlog of cases due to the Christmas holiday. “The counts of cases will become more stable after the new year,” a CDC spokesperson said.

The average number of daily cases also broke a record when the entire week is taken into account. There have been an average of 258,3 daily new COVID-19 cases in the United States over the past seven days, according to Reuters. The previous record of 250,1 had been set on Jan. 8, 2021. The omicron variant was estimated to make up 58.6 percent of all COVID-19 variants circulating in the United States on Dec. 25, according to the CDC.

The United States is hardly alone in seeing a sharp rise in cases fueled by the highly infectious variant. Coronavirus infections hit a record high globally, with an average of almost 900,000 cases per day over the course of the past seven days as of Tuesday. The World Health Organization reported an percent increase in COVID-19 cases around the world last week compared with the previous week. France, Britain, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta all recorded daily records on Tuesday. In Australia daily new infections are soaring at an alarming , reaching 18, on Wednesday; the previous high was , cases, and was reached a day earlier. The sharpest increases are being detected in the Americas, which saw cases soar 39 percent to nearly 1.48 million during the period.

Of course, cases of the virus aren’t necessarily the most important metric to attention to; hospitalizations and death rates say more about the damage the virus is doing. The WHO delivered a bit of good news on that front , noting that early data from South Africa, the U.K., and Denmark suggests omicron carries with it a decreased risk of hospitalization (though the organization noted its still too early to reach a firm conclusion). That may help explain why even as cases are soaring, the number of new deaths worldwide attributed to COVID-19 declined 4 percent last week, to 44,680.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My sister texted me that a new variant will be named Omygod and two masks will be mendated! Last night a doctor on PBS said a cloth mask over a surgical mask is preferred . I asked if sister was clairvoyant? Her next text said "wear two pair of underwear"...now I'm worried!

There are so many things that the us leads the world in, few of them are positive.

And we all know who is responsible for this. Too bad they are not only clueless as tp the rea; costs of their stupidity but also to our feelings about them.

Carry on Darwin

Covid has been keeping me home, and now all this snow...

I hope omicron ends delta.

This had led to travel disrupts as airline personal fall ill and bad weather hits there are hundreds of flight cancellations. Some are canceling or scaling back New Years celebrations. Still it is the unvaccinated fueling the up tick in numbers.

Yes, this is why I stayed home for the holidays again. Last time I traveled was Jan2020!

Happy anniversary ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:642448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.