Agnostic.com

9 10

LINK A Proposed Oklahoma Law Would Allow Preachers and the KJV Bible in Public Schools

I remember back when I was in high school, I went into a back room in the library and there were hundreds ob bibles which were never used. I think the school just found it easier to store then than to deal with the religious nuts who wanted the school to have bibles.

From the article...

A proposed law in Oklahoma would allow fundamentalist Christian preachers to teach the KJV Bible in public schools, creating a new venue for indoctrination.

SB 1161, prefiled on Monday by State Senator George Burns, would amend existing law to require an elective Bible course to use only the King James Version of the Bible — i.e. one that Catholics typically don’t use but fundamentalist Baptists love — while also expanding the possible teachers for this course to include clergy members who have no background in education. It would also require any school offering this course to have a copy of the KJV Bible in its library.

snytiger6 9 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here is the link to George Burns's bio in the Oklahoma legislature. I just learned a woman that have coffee with us occasionally was his secretary.

[ballotpedia.org]

Would that proposed law also allow for the Torah, the Book of the Dead, the Koran and the Pastafarium to be in public schools?

George Burns is a Christian supremacist. He is no better than the Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

If Burns gets this through it will just get thrown out or knocked down. I'm sure most of his people know this but he can then crow about how Christianity is being attacked and how he tried to do something, etc. Yes, he is such a good guy, and god loves him.

Just another step in the attempt by religion to get it's ugly foot in the state door. Luckily, FFRF has been successful in removing lots of these kinds of backward and totally unconstitutional attempts.

We are not a religious nation no matter how hard the fundamentalist try

The Local ACLU will file against it when it passes the legislature because our constitution has a strict prohibition regarding religion in any state or government entity. Hopefully they will continue to win their case but it costs money for the state and for the ACLU. It's literally tiresome how often that happens in Oklahoma.

A lot o’ sheep there…….like a majority of down south.

@CuddyCruiser the legislators file the bills to rev up their base and help them identify Democrats as enemies of Christianity. Some Democrats abstain from voting some vote with the Republicans because they actually believe it or are afraid of their constituents. For some reason the Democrats in progressive districts vote their conscience which is against those kind of bills.

The FFRF will take it to court and win.

Amazing what a difference between Ron Reagan Jr. and his father.

In Oklahoma it's usually the ACLU because they have deeper pockets here.

@Lorajay The 1st rock band I saw in person. NOW I understand.

@ChurchLess the song was written by Hoyt Axton one of our native sons. He was first cousin to David Boren who used to be a US senator and our governor. He has definitely been to Oklahoma.

OK is really pressing the Xtian Law. I've never been to Heaven but have spent a few weeks in OK. It was Hell.

Words cannot begin to express just how much this shit pisses me off.

I feel that all Christian supremacists deserve a thorough punching in the face.

@anglophone I'm right there with you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:643309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.