Agnostic.com

22 18

LINK Pope Francis criticizes people who have dogs, cats instead of children

(I take the opposing viewpoint. I think being aware of climate change and the political directions of the world, it is more selfish to have children knowing the direction(s) the world is taking.)

Pope Francis this week criticized individuals who opt for having pets instead of children, saying that a “denial of fatherhood or motherhood diminishes us.”

The pope on Wednesday made the comments while speaking about the figure of Joseph serving as the “foster father” of Jesus.

snytiger6 9 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gosh!
Sure am glad I pay no mind to ANY religious "leader".

Dogs are the best.
Cats aren't bad.

There are already too many people on the planet…many of whom are unable to feed themselves or their families, and yet his church and other religions insist that they keep reproducing, presumably to increase the number of faithful followers of that religion.and with it maintain their own power to control and influence. The reason this earth is no longer able to sustain life in certain parts of the world, and why we keep having these hugely catastrophic extreme weather events in ever increasing numbers, is that there are just too many people already born, necessitating ever more need to plunder the earth for its minerals and overuse of it’s natural resources. This has already led to overheating of the atmosphere and pollution in the form of effluent and poisonous Co2 emissions to a point of unsustainability. We need to slow down the birth rate not increase it…those who decide to keep a pet instead of a brood of children should be commended for their selflessness and not criticised for being selfish…especially not by the Pope, a man who is never likely to be faced with such a decision.

Why does an organization devoted to protecting pedophiles and denying womens' rights get taken seriously by so many people?

Because they have money & power

@twill LOL, it was a rhetorical question. 🙂

@Druvius yea thought so

Of course the Protector Of Paedophile Employees would see it as being "selfish," dogs, cats and other animal pets do NOT,

1. pay tithes to the Church,
  2. they do not attend Masses, etc, and cash up the Collection plate,
  3. they do NOT need to be 'christened,'
  4. they do write Wills and leave their Estates to the Church,
  5. their off-spring do NOT attend Catholic Schools and thus pay NO School Fees, etc, and, most disappointing of ALL for his Paedo-Employees of course,
  6. Dogs and cats in particular would make for terrible Altar Boys since when assaulted by a Paedo-priest the dogs would probably turn around and bite, the cats would turn around and scratch and claw and then bite as well.
    So that, imo, is why Wankey Frankie is so against dogs, cats, etc, being members of a family where the humans decide NOT to have children.

Comes from a person who has none himself, who does not have to worry about how to pay bills or anything else.

A rather strong opinion from a man whose life is dedicated to celebacy which disallows him to become a father.

Definitely a BIG case of the Pot calling the Kettle black here imo,

Better than sitting around like he does playing with religious talismans all day. Why doesn’t he go out and have babies?

Hmm, would any SANE woman in her right frame of mind want the drooling old FART and Protector Of Paedophile Employees fathering her child/children?

@Triphid The sick fact is many would wait in line for hours for the holy seed…

Says the man who has never had either, & never will

Yeah! Like he is an expert on fatherhood.

Yeah, like choosing to be a part of clergty isn't selfish in some ways... like choosing to never have kids.

But, how many children did HE sire as a Priest and which parishes were they sired?
Everyone knows the sordid reputations of the Catholic Priests don't they.

@ASTRALMAX Expert on 'dipping his wick" and then leaving the end result for someone else to raise imo.
I have just finished reading a very in-depth report regarding the Children sired by Catholic Priests in the various Dioceses both in Australia, New Zealand, England, etc, etc, and Ireland in particular.
The conclusion made is that in those countries that are predominantly Catholic, the mean average of of children fathered by Catholic Priests and raise in Catholic households is approx. 1 in 10-12 depending upon the distances from the nearest Church/Cathedral and Manse.
Whereas in city parishes and Dioceses, the mean average takes an 'alarming' leap to 1 in 5-6 or even less.
These result were all derived from VOLUNTARY DNA testing of both the child/children and their 'Registered Parents.'
All DNA tests concentrated on the Mitochondrial DNA first, which we all know ONLY comes from the birth mother, then the Paternal DNA afterwards as a matching/non-matching comparison.
When asked to partake in the surveys, 99% of Catholic Priests in the Dioceses refused to partake stating that "Doing so would be a Breach of the Rules of the Church, etc."

@Triphid In refusing to partake in the DNA survey 99% of Catholic Priests placed themselves in an untenable position, there are no reasonable grounds for such a refusal.

I’m sure that in the history of the Catholic Church ‘wick dipping’ was and remains rife amongst the priesthood. They have always attempted to sweep it under the carpet but those days are coming to an end as people begin to reveal their experiences.

The portrayal of the pontiff praying to an invisible god is not more than a cheap act of contrition . His plea for forgiveness for vile acts committed by his priests is a gross insult to reason and any notion of justice.

With the introduction of anaesthetics in the middle of the 1800’s there was strong opposition for their use in childbirth from those who held religious beliefs. In accord with biblical scripture they held that women should suffer in childbirth.

The history of the Catholic Church is one of torture both physical and psychological with a catalogue of crimes against humanity.

Ever since the Middle Ages the Catholic Church has opposed scientific research because it delivers results, something that prayer has never done.

How is having a pet a "denial" of parenthood? Who asks, "Let's see .. do I want a child or a dog?"

How insensitive the comment is for those who are unable to have a child, unable to support a child, unable to find a mate, or for countless other reasons. And then they are blamed for seeking the companionship of a pet when they may be lonely?

And, as others have commented here, the earth is overcrowded and we don't need to encourage people to have babies - plenty will do so without the pope's encouragement. The tired old Catholic moralizing to procreate!

Disappointing to hear, coming from a pope that I thought was more progressive than any recent one.

He's had time on his hands so kind of bored.

Then where are his

Don't be a silly bugger Bob! They can't let that truth be revealed!

@FrayedBear How do you get a nun pregnant, dress her as a altar boy

@bobwjr I did read of a married couple who only practised anal sex but she fell pregnant - his penis had drilled a hole through to her vagina from the colon.
She must have suffered dreadfully from thrush.

Fuck him.....nothing else in the news today?

twill Level 7 Jan 6, 2022

Priests don't fuck dogs or cats, only children, maybe that's why.

Have the chickens been examined lately?

What's most telling--and damning--about this statement is it's the standard Catholic mantra: go forth and make more Catholics regardless of whether you can feed them or care for them.

That’s partially true, it’s really make more that will donate to the church

But of course. If you are not busy creating children you are not replenishing the earth. I think the earth was "plenished" at one time according to KJV but Genesis says it needs to be "replenished."

"Oh, plenish us again oh, Lord.

Well I'm 48 divorced no kids. Don't want kids soooo he can go fuck himself. 😁

Forgot to mention I have a dog, lol.

I saw that on FaceBook and replied that it was none of his business.

Hooray for yet another in a long line of proclamations trumpeting their out of touch irrelevance, and further drive their ever diminishing membership away.

2022 meet 1637

@Canndue Unsure about significance of 1637, but it's plenty enough regressive.

@Rossy92 pulled out of a hat..

It's a criticism of Western privileged narcissism. Pets in the West live pampered lives that many of the world's unfortunate would envy.

I agree with your assessment of the lifestyle of western dogs and cats however I don't think the Pope was criticizing that. I think he was criticizing the lack of new Catholic children that has occurred since the creation of reliable birth control. His church needs growth to sustain its needs.

I would also say it’s because more people are realizing this toilet earth is unfit for bringing kids into it. With no hope, everything getting worse and worse they’re making a smart decision.

Yeah, th e earth is being destroyed because there are too many humans.

@snytiger6 Just look at Manhattan. An island about 11 miles going north to south and like 2 miles west to east with a population of over 4,000,000

When I first joined ZPG we had things we sold at events and one was a bar of soap that looked like the pope that had a rope attached on which to hang it on the shower head. "Pope on a rope.' That's about his mentality. Talks about climate change and 'environmental' justice issues and then does all the fool can to exacerbate the situation.
And why more kids, more for his minions to mess with.

ZPG?

@Canndue Zero Population Growth [orgs.tigweb.org]
It was one of the first environmental groups and one of the largest. A national organization and I was on the Seattle Chapter's board. We had many activities and even a business The Rubber Tree

Zero Population Growth. One of the countries first environmental organizations and one of the largest. I was on the board of the Seattle Chapter.[orgs.tigweb.org]
We even had a business The Rubber Tree.
[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

@Canndue Sorry, something was wrong with the site so it printed twice.

@JackPedigo no worries…I’ve seen more acronyms in the last few days, never know if it’s an organization or some silly autocorrect feature.

Sounds like a worthwhile group

@Canndue It was but a new director went the usual "we need more money" direction and an anonymous (corporate) group offered ZPG and the Sierra Club $100,000 (PBS did an expose) to amend their population policy to exclude any reference to immigration) The group changed it's name to Population Connection, pretended to be the same old organization but without any reference to immigration. It basically became an intermediary to family planning without any real information to the general population issue.

@JackPedigo that sucks, so many organizations start off ok then lose their way

@Canndue And it always seems to be about money. ZPG was around over 35 years and all it took was one short-sighted director.

Wow, what sort of ass hat comes up with that sort of statement?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:643544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.