Agnostic.com

14 20

Washington State is split in two after massive snowstorm.

Yesterday I awoke to over two feet of snow! A record amount of snow.

With more snow coming in the Cascade Mountains, the state will remain split in two — with the passes shut down and no way to drive across — until perhaps Sunday. Freight is stalled, and resorts are blanketed in snow but empty of skiers.

Extreme avalanche danger makes it too dangerous for crews to be in the mountain pass areas. Avalanche experts use bombs, a Horwitzer and an M6 tank to keep us safe. Also, multiple downed trees across highways and roads must be removed.

This means you can’t access Mt. Baker, Snoqualmie, Stevens Pass, White Pass ski resorts and more. The weather forecast is for freezing rain followed by more snow.

Evacuations ordered due to imminent flooding from heavy rain and snow in WA state.

CNN, January 7, 2022

"Record rain and snow will cause floods, possible landslides, and higher avalanche risks across western Washington state, with more forecast to fall through the weekend."

"A 20-mile stretch of Interstate 5 is closed in both directions due to rising water from the Chehalis River, Trooper Will Finn with Washington State Patrol told CNN in a phone call.
"There is no viable route around I-5," Finn said. "We ask that folks delay travel at this time."

[cnn.com]weather/washington-flooding-emergency-alert-landslide/index.html

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In London and the Home Counties of England 1-2cm of snow brings the country to a halt.

Hope it clears so you can get back to your fun adventures..😎

I remember driving out of Seattle in February 97' ... We left Seattle East Truck stop about 8 p.m. that evening and it was starting to snow at the Truck Stop which is around Exit 34 or there about...I knew we had to get up over Snoqualmie Pass before they shut it down and made us chain up...we made it over the top and it was a total white out...all you could see from the ski area were orange glows from the lights on the slope. We didn't get clear roads for over 200 miles...we made it all the way to the base of Cabbage in Oregon and shut down for the night as Cabbage was iced up bad. I love the Cascades but the weather up there can be seriously tough. Stay warm and safe.

That's really a bad situation. Stay warm.

Ha! Split by nature as well as by politics …

When I lived in Snoqualmie, I remember the army emerging from Ft. Lewis with their artillery to shoot at the snow banks overlooking the Pass to forestall avalanches.

I was planning on skiing at Snoqualmie pass this weekend, but no.

Be careful

Does this mean there will be a shortage of beverages out of Woodenville?? How will I survive? Stay warm!

FFS, stay your butt at home for a change!

You don't need to be out in that.

Go sew something!
❤❤

@KKGator

Yesterday I was snowbound waiting for snowplows. Didn't lose power, thank goodness.

Stuck indoors, I spent an inordinate amount of time taking in the waist of two new pants. First removed metal hardware without tearing the fabric: six machine-stamped metal hooks and clasps with sharp claws. Success!

Felt like Goldilocks:

First the waist was too loose, then too tight, then just right.

@LiterateHiker Really glad you haven't lost power.

I don't know what I was thinking!!
Of course you're staying home and being exceptionally productive.
😘

@KKGator

Thanks, sweetheart.

Used a small (dull) metal cutter and needle-nose pliers to wiggle out the sharp claws. (Note to self: find a new small metal cutter.)

Knowledge of clothing construction helped. Removed just enough stitching. "There you are, you bastards!" Then slip-stitched the waistband closed. Nice and smooth.

It was satisfying to pile up the metal hardware.

Ouch. Keep yourself safe, Lit.

Sounds bad! Hopefully people will stay home and safe!

Are you doing OK up there?

BD66 Level 8 Jan 7, 2022

@BD66

Yesterday I was snowbound waiting for snowplows. Didn't lose power, thank goodness.

Stuck indoors, I spent an inordinate amount of time taking in the waist of two new pants. First removed metal hardware without tearing the fabric: six machine-stamped metal hooks and clasps with sharp claws. Success!

Felt like Goldilocks:

First the waist was too loose, then too tight, then just right.

This is due to climate change being driven by human pollution.

@xenoview

Exactly.

It never snowed in Washington before people started driving SUVs?

Here in Battle Ground, just north of Vancouver, we just have rain.

Gotta go south to see snow

@Canndue It's a matter of elevation. Battle Ground has only about a 600 foot elevation. Portland has only about a 550 foot elevation. Snow levels in the latest storms only came down to about 700 feet.

@snytiger6 yeah, I get it , we often get snow when the next town over gets rain. They are 8pm ft lower in a river valley.

@Canndue Well, there is also the factor of wind currents. We were getting rain here, while NPR was reporting that I-84 was closed from Troutdale to Hood River due to white out conditions, even though their elevation is about the same or lower as here

The Gorge area , as it is called often acts like a wind tunnel which can funnel colder air. At the Gorge narrowest points they also get exceedingly more rain than surrounding areas throughout the year.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:643708
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.