Agnostic.com

5 7

I'm showing my ignorance - is it really safe?

Twisty nuclear fusion reactor gets twice as hot as the sun.

The world’s biggest stellarator has overcome a heat-loss problem holding fusion back.

We’re one step closer to a future of near-limitless clean energy.

Physicists in Germany just found a way to minimize a major heat-loss problem plaguing a promising kind of nuclear fusion reactor called a “stellarator.”

The future of clean energy: Nuclear fusion occurs when the nuclei of two atoms merge into one. This releases an enormous amount of energy — it’s literally enough to power the sun and other stars.

If we could harness the power of nuclear fusion on Earth, it would be an absolute game changer in the battle against climate change.

[freethink.com]

Ryo1 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No chance of meltdown, but lots of radioactive waste. A lot of which is light elements unlike fission radioactive waste, more easily incorporated into living tissue. Plus, bonus, may lead to a way to make cheap nuclear weapons without uranium or plutonium!

To put the heat problem into a little perspective. Lightning which is a common and widespread natural occurrence as you know, is five times hotter than the sun.

OK, I would not stand inside a fusion reactor, any more than I would want to stand in front of a bolt of lightning, but I think that the first may be easier to avoid.

The Chinese are building an artificial sun reactor, spending a trillion dollars.

Visit [aureon.ca]

You can perhaps end your ignorance with a visit to [aureon.ca]

The site is being edited and may be off line. Alternatively,
visit [thunderbolts.info] and type safire in the search bar.

We are all ignorant in the vast unrealized knowledge. Scientists split the atom in the middle of Chicago. I still do not understand how they did that without obliteration America's major heartland megalopolis.

They split only a few of their atoms. The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs split all of their atoms.

I always thought that splitting one atom released the energy. I have so much to learn. I am going to research this before I forget to. Now what was that I was going to look into. Hmmmm. =0}

@yvilletom [en.wikipedia.org]

Moderating control rods... (Rods filled with neutron absorbing atoms that quench the chain reaction.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:644505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.