Agnostic.com

2 4

From the CDC website:
"More than 469 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through December 20, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 10,483 reports of death (0.0022%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. " (but that is unconfirmed causation, and only a reported correlation)

Per Google:
Currently, death rates for Covid are 1,600/day.
718,000 new Covid cases per day. That works out to 0.22% deaths per cases.

Now some people have vaccine hesitancy and taking the vaccine does involve some risk. However, being unvaccinated and getting Covid is the greater risk - - about 100 times greater (0.0022% vs 0.22%).

Per the link: "The omicron variant multiplies about 70 times faster inside human respiratory tract tissue than the delta variant does, scientists at the University of Hong Kong report. The variant also reaches higher levels in the tissue, compared with delta, 48 hours after infection."

"Strikingly, Omicron was 4-fold more infectious than wild type [the original version of the virus] and 2-fold more infectious than Delta," Garcia-Beltran and colleagues wrote in their study."

"The data suggests omicron may be able to infect people at a lower dose than delta or the original variant,..."

[npr.org]

racocn8 9 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the Dr's and scientists are right, and Omicron does lose steam by V-D (Feb 14), then we might be okay after the open vaccine comes out. If not then we're doomed to lose both Chambers of Congress. Maybe just The House if enough people are scared of both sides. That's the optimist in me, though.

I don't think it makes sense to do the math for the cases v deaths per day. The total cases in the US was 63.2 million and total deaths stand at 843k. That works out to 1.3% of people getting covid dying.

I can only suggest that the experience in providing care has improved the survival rate. I noted the seeming decrease in mortality as well. Those are the numbers though.

Those are deaths from COVID that they can confirm. More people are thought to have died from it at home, having never been tested.

@Organist1 That would make the percentage even higher, further bolstering the reason not to the math by new deaths to new cases...

@racocn8 I see what you mean, still a study found the mean time between diagnosis and death to be 18.1 days. With the massive increase in daily cases, however, you're still potentially diluting the numbers.

@JeffMurray Yes, the 1600/day is an average, and the death rate may not have caught up to the infection rate, and thus yield an incorrectly low fatality rate. As hospitals are stressed, the recovery rate could drop and also boost the fatality rate.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:644841
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.