Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK My daughter was a gay Catholic who died by suicide. Here's how the church must protect LGBTQ+ Catholics. | National Catholic Reporter

(I think that the younger generations who accept LGBT+ persons are a primary reason why so many of the younger generations are leaving religion... which is a good thing for both reasons.)

From the article...

Commentary
My daughter was a gay Catholic who died by suicide. Here's how the church must protect LGBTQ+ Catholics.
Jan 13, 2022
by Joyce Calvo
Opinion
Parish
People
4E295E13 Alana CROP.jpg
Alana Chen died by suicide in 2019. Although church officials deny engaging in "conversion therapy" with her, Alana's mother says representatives of the church encouraged her daughter to suppress her sexual orientation. (Photo courtesy of the family)
Alana Chen died by suicide in 2019. Although church officials deny engaging in "conversion therapy" with her, Alana's mother insists that priests and other representatives of the church encouraged her daughter to conceal and suppress her sexual orientation. (Photo courtesy of the family)

In September 2016, a police officer came to our home and took our daughter Alana to the hospital. As he later explained, a friend had reported that Alana was planning to die by suicide in the sanctuary of our Catholic Church.

At the emergency room, Alana confirmed this was all true. She was suicidal and in spiritual despair. I was in shock. What happened to Alana?

I have four children. Alana was the sensitive, quiet and empathetic child. She loved to write poetry, play guitar and make her own clothes. She was an amazing writer, singer and artist.

snytiger6 9 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The church protecting LGBTQ rights? C’mon let’s get serious here.

Let’s just ask the SS to be tolerant of the Jews while were at it.

I am sorry for your loss here but I'm still wondering why sexual orientation should be brought forward and talked about, especially in a religious way. After all it is the church and religious writings that condemn you. There cannot be an exception made for you. The best advice is to get out of church and move on. Stop believing in an invisible man in the sky who seems to be majorly concerned with what people do sexually.

Sorry for the loss of a beautiful woman. I don't understand how any lgbt can be religious, when religious leaders are against them.

And I am sure an equally amazing human being. I am so sorry for your loss.

I always grieve for a life lost at the hands of bullies. In this case the church was to blame.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:644921
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.