Agnostic.com

7 2

So I've been hearing shit in the news about a coming civil war and the conservatives like to talk about it as well. What are your thoughts? My thought is it's much ado about nothing. These folks talk a good game but when it comes right down to it they aren't laying their lives down for their ideals other than in small sporadic numbers. Personally I don't want war with anyone for any reason. If I'm attacked I'll sure as hell fight back.

FvckY0u 8 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“When the weak want to give an impression of strength they hint menacingly at their capacity for evil. It is by its promise of a sense of power that evil often attracts the weak.” — Eric Hoffer

I believe there will be war. I will be a non-traditional war, like "the troubles" in Northern Ireland. Businesses and homes will be bombed. And it will be based on religious belief: Trumpism vs. other.

In 1932-33, American fascists tried and failed. Read business plot in wikipedia.

In 1945, the US and her allies disposed of European and Japanese fascism. We Yanks may soon have to dispose of another home-grown fascism.

The greater majority of these fools that are spouting this nonsense would shit their pants and run like hell if they were ever caught in a real fire fight

Elmer Stewart Rhodes, founder of the far-right militia group the Oath Keepers, has been indicted and arrested over his organization's alleged involvement in planning the Jan. 6 attack.

Rhodes, 56, is being charged for the first time in connection to events leading up to and on Jan. 6, according to a statement Thursday from the Justice Department. An additional 10 people, including nine others who already face separate charges in connection to the riot, were also indicted.

Rhodes and the 10 other individuals were charged with "seditious conspiracy and other charges for crimes" related to the breach of the Capitol on Jan. 6, said the DOJ.

The defendants conspired in a variety of ways, including organizing into teams that were "prepared and willing to use force and to transport firearms and ammunition into Washington, D.C.," the DOJ said, citing the indictment.

[nbcnews.com]

I hope it doesn't come to that. At the same time, the extremity of their actions and rhetoric comes from understanding that their belief systems are mostly based on hate, greed and envy. Some will fight to the death, because they think they have nothing to live for. Most have been manipulated to support Trump/Putin's mobocracy and race war. Turning their back on American principles, they are unfit citizens. If they want to go out in a blaze of glory, it may be necessary to oblige them.

We may need to revisit what it means to be an American citizen with voting rights, etc. A number of red states may need to be merged to reduce their power/corruption.

Or, Putin will solidify his beach-head. Blue states may need to break away. Corporations that supported Putin will find their board members have bounties on their heads, and those corporations will be the first to be screwed by Trump/Putin, just for the fun of it.

There are no real geographic lines, unless you count urban vs rural. It's not logistically likely, for one thing. Although otherwise I could see it. There's a lot of othering going on. Even in the red states the urban areas are blue. Add many blue states have red rural areas.

@darren316 If this happens it will be a number of folks running around and shooting the people they feel are liberal. Of course, this will be a mass as it will not have any structure to it and will not be organized. Or, the groups will come together at places and start to take power, or try to take power. They will have a slight advantage at first as the people who respond to them will not have any notice. But once the shooting starts the mess will get larger and many people will have to come to terms with their decisions. My only concern is that I hope the same people who are in control now are in control later. Trump could not orchestrate a jerkoff much less a war. Once people start to be killed, the mess will escalate until the losers run home to nowhere. A long time ago my father said that four men could probably kill a lot of people by just driving around and shooting people. He was a work.

This has been my argument since talk of this began. And regardless who's in power, the police and possibly the military would have to step in. It's much more likely that we'll just have a poorly running democracy-adjacent government running until Republicans win again, then it will begin its transition to an authoritarian government.

@dalefvictor The problem is that if those groups don't have a government sympathetic to them they will be fighting against the police and military. If they do, they won't need to fight at all.

@JeffMurray Yes, but what if the conservatives win in the next election?

@dalefvictor I just said in my previous comment. I'll quote it here, "until Republicans win again, then it will begin its transition to an authoritarian government."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:645643
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.