Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Major U.S. airlines warn 5G could ground some planes, wreak havoc | Reuters

WASHINGTON, Jan 17 (Reuters) - The chief executives of major U.S. passenger and cargo carriers on Monday warned of an impending "catastrophic" aviation crisis in less than 36 hours, when AT&T (T.N) and Verizon (VZ.N) are set to deploy new 5G service.

The airlines warned the new C-Band 5G service set to begin on Wednesday could render a significant number of widebody aircraft unusable, "could potentially strand tens of thousands of Americans overseas" and cause "chaos" for U.S. flights.

snytiger6 9 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm guessing this is just a liability CYA thing? Sort of like "caution, remove pizza from box before eating." Couldn't this have been tested fairly easily? I mean if it does shut down air travel, wouldn't that make the phone companies liable for billions in damages? We'll see.

Pursuit of profits often over rules common sense.

@snytiger6 Yerp, it is possible, rarely on this scale though.

@Druvius Greed tends top loosen regulations. Common sense only seems to take hold in the wake of disasters.

Some of what I've read says that this "C-Band" has been in use overseas for awhile and hasn't caused chaos. This may just be propaganda from the telecommunication companies.

On a report on 60 Minutes I think, they said European airports have double the distance of exclusion zones around airports than what they are setting up in the US. It seems the main issue was interference with landing electronics.

Typical, should have just done what Europe did, but we have to give concessions to industry.

"Again, a well thought out and well organized implementation of services by American companies," he said, the sarcasm dripping like acid from his lips.
Someone most likely predicted this. I have 5G T-MOBILE, and honestly, I was fine with 4G, but had to upgrade when I needed a new phone.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:645917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.