Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Gender and sexualities club at Beaverton elementary raises parents’ ire | KOIN.com

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Beaverton parents expressed frustration at Tuesday’s virtual school board meeting about a new Genders and Sexualities Alliance Club at Raleigh Hills Elementary for fourth and fifth grade students...

...KOIN 6 News spoke with district officials who said the Genders and Sexualities Alliance Club was started earlier this month by two fifth graders who identify as transgender.

The district says 40 students signed up after the the two students gave a presentation about the club to fourth and fifth graders.

snytiger6 9 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have kids so don't know what's age appropriate. 9 or 10 does seem about right for the topics, though. I do understand the concern over a child becoming something they're not over misplaced feelings of belonging or friendship. Sexuality takes time to understand and come to terms with so there's a fear of a fad becoming obsession. I think the tendency toward OCD is growing due to growing expectations for perfection and ambition. If I'm right then such mistakes could lead to regrets but nor does that justify rejecting an emerging identity. While greater sex-ed pays huge dividends, IMO, a parent having to discover children's sexualities seems like it would be uncomfy. I'm happier never having had to confront such challenges in myself (from either side of it) so less judgmental of them.

Apparently the kids have more sense than the parents. Of course, I blame religion for it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:646101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.