Agnostic.com

4 9

LINK How to make sure your N95/KN95 mask is real and where to buy a real one

At the start of the Pandemic I made many, many masks, 2 layers cloth. The ones I kept for myself have ties instead of elastic. I wear hearing aids and don't like to put anything beside my glasses on my ears for fear of dislodging/losing a hearing aid. (those suckers are expensive!) However, it has been recommended by health experts to use the KN95 masks, and all I could find on Amazon were ear elastic masks, so reluctantly I'm switching over. My box of masks arrived Wednesday, and today I saw this article... and happily, I got the right stuff!

By Taylyn Washington-Harmon

As the omicron variant of the COVID-19 pandemic spreads across the country, finding the right mask to protect yourself has gotten harder within previous months. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its mask guidance to fight the spread appropriately, advising against cloth masks and surgical masks alone to protect against the virus.

As of press time, the CDC is advising the general public to upgrade to N95 and KN95 masks to protect against the omicron variant. These respirators filter out 95% of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger in diameter, Dr. Michael Schivo, a pulmonologist and an associate professor of internal medicine at UC Davis Health, previously told Men's Health.

Previously reported by Men's Health, the CDC is warning against several N95 respirators falsely claiming to be approved by NIOSH flooding the market, and therefore won't effectively protect you from COVID-19, especially the omicron variant, spread. NIOSH is the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in the U.S., providing the standards for protective N95 face masks across several occupations that require them.

KN95 masks are made abroad in China, thus adhering to Chinese standards. According to the CDC, as many as 60% of KN95 masks available could be fakes.

So how do you know which masks are legit, and even more so where to get one?

ISO/IEC 17025 lab tested
This is a standard recommended by the CDC to ensure the mask meets the protective standards of its country of origin. Check if the manufacturer is listed here.

Visible brand logo and GB2626-2019
The brand of mask should be visible somewhere on the mask itself. Additionally, GB2626-2019 is the mandatory standard for respiratory protection masks.

"GB2626 gives reassurance that manufacturer made mask [with] highest standard per Chinese guidelines," writes Dr. Stella in a comment. "If GB ends in 2006 it’s still legit if not [past the expiration date]."

Shouldn't say "NIOSH/FDA-approved"
To confirm that the KN95 you’re buying is legitimate, make sure the manufacturer is listed on the FDA's Emergency Use Authorization list. The CDC also has a list of NIOSH-approved manufacturers to ensure your mask is certified for your protection. Simply saying so on the box or mask is not approval.

Check the expiration date
Masks absolutely have expiration dates. If the mask you purchased is past its expiration date, you may not be protected.

Make sure the packaging is properly sealed
A banged up or partially opened box is an obvious sign of damage or tampering. Don't use a mask with damaged packaging for your own safety.

No quality control issues
Check if all the masks are identical and there aren't any mix-ups. If not, they're likely safe. to us.

HippieChick58 9 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of the things I have learned from this epidemic is that manufacturing in the US still makes up for 22% of the economy. Unfortunately, we do not make the things that we need to survive this epidemic, of any of our other needs it seems. I have gotten into electronics and apparently though we design many things in this realm, almost none of it is made in the US. I find that the politicians are wanting to make things work better here, but how can we if everything really profitable is offshore?

Thanks

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 22, 2022

Thanks for this info..

Thanks for this information. I didn't know masks have expiration dates... My package of KN95 masks does have the GB2626-2019 numbers and an expiration date of January 2023. Good to know, so I don't buy more too soon. I might as well wait until mine are almost all gone, so I can get a fresher batch, with a later expiration date.

I do have some real N95s that I bought in 2013, for another reason, and I have no idea when they might have expired. I've been holding on to them for an emergency, but my KN95s are probably more dependable at this point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:646565
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.