Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Supreme Court could limit a 2020 Oklahoma Indian land decision | PBS NewsHour

WASHINGTON ✈ — The Supreme Court agreed Friday to consider limiting a recent decision about Indian land in Oklahoma that the state says has produced chaos in its courts.

The justices said they would take up a case to clarify whether the state can prosecute non-Indians for crimes committed against Native Americans in a large portion of eastern Oklahoma that the high court ruled in 2020 remains an Indian reservation.

The case will be argued in April, the court said.

But the justices did not agree to the state’s request that the court consider overruling the 2020 decision in McGirt v. Oklahoma altogether.

The Supreme Court does not typically reconsider its decisions so soon. But the state argued that crimes are going uninvestigated and unprosecuted because federal authorities — who can bring criminal cases on tribal land — are overwhelmed.

snytiger6 9 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was wondering what has been happening since this decision came down. Hopefully SCOTUS upholds it and OK loses their stolen land. I think almost anything that happens to OK is fine with me.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:646672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.