Agnostic.com

5 2

Should the US add sanctions if Russia invades Ukraine ? Why/not ?

US threatens use of novel export control to damage Russia’s strategic industries if Moscow invades Ukraine

[stripes.com]

FearlessFly 9 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Putin laughs at meaningless threats. And with hypersonic missiles, and submarines that can launch nukes and cruise undetected to within a few miles of American shores, why shouldn't he laugh? All this saber rattling is dangerous. And the US is a paper tiger, so far as Russia and China are concerned. NATO should let things run their course in Ukraine, and stay out of it.

I think maybe they should try to lift sanctions in order to prevent an invasion. Maybe they could lift water restriction to Crimea if Russia agrees to lay off.

I can think of no reason why any western country, would WANT to be 'engulfed/invaded' by Putin.
IMO, Putin will TAKE (whatever he can), and only 'gives' what he 'must' -- usually when persuaded by sanctions.

Sanctions only work if the country is well integrated into the world economy, that's why Israel is so terrified of them. against Russia they would just make Putin more popular and drive Russia and China closer together. Since Russia isn't about to invade Ukraine unless Ukraine does something Saakashvili stupid, likely a moot point.

Since I was married to a Cuban and immersed in the culture 20 years, my take was it hurts the people not the pendejos running the country. not the government. It is a strange concept to me. I am hardly knowledgeable about hitting their technology. It just seems the results won't be fast but retribution could be.

Yes, all sanctions do is hurt poor people and strengthen hard liners.

@Druvius That was what my husband's family all said if not part of government or military. You are poor.They equated MLK Jr and Kennedy working toward social equality as what Castro promised them and why he had people's support. Hence they generally vote Republican. At least older Cubsns.

Kind of see it not so different here. Politicians here take big interest and vote for their donsrs and not constituents so wages are way less than 80s and 90s from my perspective at least

Does Europe need natural gas from Russia more than Russia needs imports from the West ?

Good quetion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:647042
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.