Agnostic.com

2 1

QUESTION Guilty verdict in 2010 Wilton Manors double murder - Sun Sentinel

Death penalty anyone?

In yet another one of those “Life’s an ironic bitch” incidents, I’m actually going to have to look head-long into one of my most discussed and debated philosophies.

On Christmas, 2010, my best friend from grade school was murdered in his home along with his partner of thirty years.

I met Kevin in Lander, Wyoming while we were both attending a Seventh Day Adventist church school (but at least I wasn’t homeschooled). We both had step dads who were violent and abusive (and giant-assed drama queens), and we were both gay. We didn’t know about the gay thing until we were in our twenties, after both of us had moved away from Wyoming. There was such a connection between us that keep us friends even to his death. We had spoken on the phone earlier that month so we could wish each other Merry Christmas.

I didn’t find out until early January 2011 because the police didn’t find them until the 27th. They were supposed to show up at Stephen’s sister’s house, and when they didn’t, didn’t answer their phones, they asked the police to check on them.

After seven years of trying to get this thing through the justice system, and false starts, and every ploy by the defense team to delay, it finally went to trial in November, 2017. And the jury returned a guilty verdict…

For years I have debated the death penalty. I’ve never been totally against it, but I’ve never been comfortable with the way it’s been administrated in the U.S. either. And I do see it as quite barbaric.

While I have no say in the judge’s final decision, I’m left to consider what’s about to happen, and no matter what the judge decides, I have the feeling it’s going to be disconcerting, and that emotionally it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Benthoven 8 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just a comment about the death penalty. I see the death penalty as state sanctioned murder for one thing and also as a form of revenge. Some people like to call revenge 'closure', but it is the same thing. We also know that the death penalty is not a deterrent to 'capital' crime and in many cases it serves as a reward to the person so sentenced. I would hope that you and others who were close to these two discover some other way to find closure and not to take solace in the death penalty, should it be invoked.

I absolutely agree with you... and YET... I can argue the other side just as easily. I have no idea how this will shake out, but I suspect that either way, I'm going to struggle with it.

Understood.

Aww man ... I'm sorry.

Thanks.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6472
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.