Agnostic.com

5 3

The Williams Lake First Nation in northern British Columbia has announced its preliminary results from geophysical testing of lands around the St. Joseph’s Mission Residential School.

Using ground-penetrating radar and other technology, the First Nation is reporting 93 possible bodies in the 14 hectares that have been searched so far. Project lead Whitney Spearing says so far, the 93 “reflections” showing from the radar are consistent with human burial. While some are being checked against a historical cemetery, at least 50 are not associated with the cemetery.

WLFN Chief Willie Sellars says they know many of the children who died at the school may never be recovered.

“Their bodies were cast into the river, left at the bottom of lakes, tossed like garbage into incinerators,” said Sellars. “For those children, there will be no headstone, no unmarked grave, no small fragment of bone, to be forensically analyzed.”

The school operated from 1891 to 1981, as part of the Roman Catholic Mission in the area. Thousands of indigenous children were forced to attend. In a news conference today, Sellars says investigators were exposed to the darkest recesses of human behaviours, including starvation, torture, rape and deaths of children at the school. Several members of the clergy were tried and convicted of sexual crimes against the children in the 1990’s.

Sellars says they are grateful to be able to complete the first phase, but the process has been a challenging one for the First Nation.

“This has been an extremely challenging time for WLFN and other First Nations who were affected by the facility at St. Joseph’s,” said Sellars in a release. “We have out of necessity in the course of our investigation opened old wounds and asked people to recount some terrible and harrowing stories. But the information provided has helped shape our investigation and I’m thankful to make progress on this first phase of our work.”

The WLFN is asking for patience and respect. Their key concern is the mental health and well-being of the survivors.

In anticipation of the impact the news conference may have, the first nation created a booklet of Wellness Supports, which can be accessed by clicking here.

[myprincegeorgenow.com]

Lilac-JadeCanada 9 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What I find most disgusting about this whole affair is that no-one outside of canada is being told anything. It's not on the news in any other country that I'm aware of. Nothing being said about it in australia but if it had anything to do with any organisation other than the catholic church it would be front page news in every western country. They are very good at managing and limiting the public relations damage. Disgusting rat penis sucking hyena fuckers.

The Catholic Church is famous in many countries for its unholy and inhuman behaviour.

I heard the first lot of 215 unmarked graves in Kamloops BC, made the news in many countries. More unmarked graves have been found at several other old school sites now too, which prompted the searches being expanded to all residential schools. So far, the numbers add up to over a thousand.
I live in Williams Lake, where these latest 93 have been found, & many of our neighbours were in that school, or have family who were.

@Lilac-JadeCanada My point is, none of that information is news in other countries. I know of it because I follow world news in other countries but I have seen none of it on our local news, whereas if it didn't involve the church, it would be announced.

@Cyklone Oh Ok, I misunderstood.

My mother had a sibling who died before he could be baptised. The RC Church refused to do burial rites and he probably ended up in a ditch like these others in Canada (this is back in the 40's in Holland). My Grandmother never forgave them. Neither has my mother, who was born after and only learnt of her siblings fate in the '80's.
No time for Catholics.

puff Level 8 Jan 26, 2022

I have no words strong enough for these outrages!

A genocidal death camp. I am ashamed of the nation of my birth.

Not your fault. It is the succession of vindictive lying assholes in the Vatican that is to blame.

And the Catholic Church wonders why it is held in such contempt by ordinary decent people?

But so many still remain catholic.........

@Lilac-JadeCanada Quite! 😟

Excuse me for swearing, but these fucking Mongrel Catholics MUST be made to answer for these things and ALL the atrocities they have committed or permitted to be committed over the centuries, NO MORE MERCY, No MORE SWEEPING IT UNDER THE CARPETS, No more letting the church/churches hide behind Canon laws, No more letting Offenders off with Penances BECAUSE they admitted to their crimes in Confessionals/Church Confession Sessions,
And, imo, ANYONE who remains a staunch Catholic and supporter of Catholicism or ANY other of the 2 off-shoots of the Abrahamic Religion should be Ostracized by the entire Human Species for LIFE.

Well said. I'll never understand why they aren't resigning from that bloody place en masse!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:647243
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.