Agnostic.com

25 6

Confrontational?

When I was telling l religious I used to proselytize a lot, but now that I'm a non-believer I tend to not be as confrontational (though I still engage others when needed)

Are you confrontational or "proselytizing" with your Atheism?

WhatsInAName 6 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only when people are to me first. A defence mechanism of hostility. When people make me feel like they're looking down on me for my beliefs or when they use their beliefs to condemn or control others I get confrontational.

Nope, neither. I think it was Votaire that said, "God created man in his own image...Then man returned the favor."

kirkz Level 5 Apr 23, 2018

Nope. I actually respect another's journey now and only offer advice/opinions when asked.

Same here.

I hate when it's done to me so I don't do it to others however I am open to having reasonable and rational conversation about religion and atheism.

I'm no different than your basic snake. I'm off to the side of the road not bothering anybody...slithering on my way...minding my own business, and you'll never know I'm there. Go poking at me with a religious stick however, and that shits gonna coil me up.

Confrontational is the opposite of persuasive. I’ve never disabused anyone of their religious beliefs. I think the reason for this is that many people are quite comfortable with what they believe, right or wrong. We don’t allow people to mess at will with our value system.

No, as an introvert I tend to keep to myself mostly.

Confrontation is overrated, so, no, I don't do that; or proselytize. I feel no need to try to make people think like I do about that.

No. My attitudes and ideas effectively constitute confrontation for many people, so I go to great lengths to hold my tongue.

I'm honestly baffled as to why anyone would think what I do or do not think or believe or hold to be true would have anything to do with them, but experience has taught me that the contents of my head tend to make others regard me as an enemy. Curious beasts, these humans.

Nope...not my box?

Emme Level 7 Apr 23, 2018

Not at all. Calm, respectful. I prefer to start to plant seeds of doubt by questions here and there. I think it is more important to get folks thinking on their own than to tell them what to think.

Only if someone is confrontational toward me.

No.
But woe to them should they inquire.

I have over the decades been attacked by "Believers" because I'm an atheist.
So now, depending upon the situation get very very confrontational.
And when a "Believer" says or asks, "Why are atheists so angry?"
I GET RIGHT IN THEIR FACES...
And I tell them, "Because you religious believers are so full of hate, anger, fear and attack people like me for no good reason at all. Your religious beliefs are thin and brittle and you see us as those who can easily shatter your thin and frail beliefs and leave you with nothing..."
You'd be amazed how many are taken aback by that.
You see all their lives they have been trained to believe that "they" are the victims and you are the bad evil person. And that "their" religion is under attack....and it is all YOUR FAULT...
When in truth...they are the attackers...

To me there is a difference between confrontational and being honest. If a conversation gets to religion I will say I am a, "freethinker", non-believer, secularist, "Bright" or whatever. Unfortunately, atheist has such a negative connotation I avoid using it especially with strangers. We need to be honest and let people know there are people like us out there and maybe more than they think.

No.......dislike having opinions imposed on me so respect others enough not to do it to them.

Khmm Level 5 Apr 24, 2018

i try not to talk about it

No, but I would like to have a badge that says, "I'm an Atheist. If you're a religious proselytiser don't even think about it girlfriend." 🙂

I am not on a personal level but I do post things on my Facebook that picks at the cognitive dissonance of selfish prayer and/or traditions that don't make sense like Easter. Yes, I know the Pagan history and the conquest of the Roman Empire that adds to it's collage of subsects associated with it. But I also enjoy validating the things that it gets right like community and loving your neighbor. I just don't need an invisible friend to tell so.

No. Hell no. See my profile.

No

I've learned the truth of "silence is golden".

Often

I live it, but do not wear it on my sleeve.

When you're sick you tell everybody you meet, but when you're well you don't go round saying how healthy you are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64890
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.