Agnostic.com

18 16

Faith is useless without proof. I like the idea of the ubermencsh and the idea of making ourself better without a God

notconvinced887 4 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Faith IS a lack of proof.

"Ubermensch," from the German Language meaning "those above the ordinary men/humans, i.e. the direct OPPOSITE of the German term of "Untermensch" meaning those beings that MAY look human but are NOT equal to the ordinary humans, a very cruel and derisive descriptive utilized by the Nazis in reference to Jews, Poles, Russian, Negroes and ANY other person/s they considered to be of "Non- Aryan Descent."

Ubermencsh?

"Ubermensch," German literally over man, usually translated in to English as Super man. Though the most accurate depiction of the Ubermensch in literature is Kenneth Robeson's character "Doc" Savage, a human being who has reached his optimum potential.
Popularised by Friedrich Nietzsche in his 1883 book Thus Spoke Zarathustra the Over Man is the ideal all people should aspire to.
The Philosophy was corrupted by the German Nazi's during the Hitler era, thanks mainly to the sister of Friedrich Nietzsche who presented all of Friedrich's unpublished and the self rejected and edited out works to the German Nazi party for use in propaganda as @Triphid has pointed out above.

@LenHazell53 FYi I was translating DIRECT from the Ger4man Language where the word Uber means "above" and Mensch means "men, man or people."
Kanst Du sprechen Deutsche mein freund oder nicht?

@Triphid Ja, ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch, ich habe es in der Schule gelernt
Auch Oben ist above
und über ist over

@LenHazell53 Ja uber ist over und oben ist above das ser richtung nicht war?

@Triphid nickht

@Jolanta nicht, not nickht

@Triphid See, I don't speak it or write it either.

@Jolanta Yes well I have and still can ever since was 13 years of age.

@Triphid where did you learn?

@Jolanta 2 places in actual fact, the first was an ex-pat German Workmate of my Dad's, he was actually an escapee from Nazi Germany who left in 1938 with his parents and siblings, he started teaching me German, the I started learning both German and Latin in High School in my second year there.
The German came in extremely handy while I was working as a nurse in a few of the Adelaide hospitals as there were quite a number of patients admitted from time to time from the predominantly german speaking peoples living in and around Hahndorf, S.A.

Faith is the exact opposite of proof.

Exactly

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that something so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of
the non-existence of god"

"The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing.' 'But, says Man, the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.' 'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and vanishes in a puff of logic. 'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next Zebra crossing"
Douglas Adams

@LenHazell53 Love Douglas Adams
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Faith is useless, period. Regarding everything else in your post, you're good to go because there are no gods, all of these without exception, were created by the inept minds of humans.

Spoiler Alert: If you have not seen episode 7 of 1883 do not read what follows:

A long time ago, I decided that the concepts of heaven and hell were human-made. For inspiration, people looked at life on Earth. Sometimes it is heaven-like, and sometimes it is much like hell. But which one we spend the most time in depends on what we, collectively, do. For proof that Earth is Heaven all you have to do is cut open an orange and take a bite. For proof of Hell on Earth:
(that is a very long list) crime, poverty, illness, war, political corruption, etc. It is that simple. So, I'm obsessed with 1883 (and I have never seen Yellowstone) and at the end of episode 7, in her closing narration Elsa says "Heaven and hell exist on earth. And the land is God." Man, I love that show!

Faith can be described as being akin to "A Blind man searching in a pitch black room for a black cat that is NOT there and shouting out " I have found it."

Dave Allen did a great stand-up routine based around that quote.

@LenHazell53 Yes I know and I have the DVD of the show where he performed it as well.

No.

With proof, faith is unnecessary.

Faith is useless because it requires belief WITHOUT evidence.

First it important to decide what better means, and then the job is nine tenths done.

But God never helped anyone with that. At best you can follow his holy books. Which really means, letting a bunch of ancient Roman and Medieval journalists, who were paraphrasing and sensationalizing the by then, badly garbled, thoughts of bronze age shepherds, to maximize their book sales, decide what better means for you.

One must learn to trust one’s self, you are either a moral and ethical person or you have faith in a higher power to guide you!!!

Those who choice the latter are more likely to be dishonest, boarder line unethical and immoral!!!

That has been my experience living and working on three continents!!!

My observation as well….

Not sure those two choices in your first sentence are mutually exclusive. Seems a bit self serving. I’ve known many moral and ethical people who were Also faithful to their religion. I’ve also met bad atheists as well as bad faithful.

@Canndue
I feel sorry for you!!!

You posted this, it shows you can not find your own self!!!

@of-the-mountain nothing to feel sorry for, I find myself just fine, not sure where this is coming from

As they were about to take me in for surgery , a woman in scrubs was interviewing me at the hospital . She asked if I was married , if I smoke , drank , used illegal drugs , if I believed in God , to all of which I answered no . She then commented what did I use as a crutch ? I replied , I stand on my own two feet , from my wheel chair .

What do you use as a crutch? I take it that she meant using religion, booze, or drugs is how we get through life. Maybe for a great many people but no longer for me. I don't even fall for the argument that you can be moral without god. Who cares if you are moral? Whether or not you are has nothing to do with gods.
Hell, I'm an alcoholic who can no longer drink and I used to love to drink. I have not worked since last Wednesday and maybe had 4 drinks in all that time. That crutch don't work no more.

@DenoPenno I'm glad you recognized it's inability to help you . Hope you do find your feet , Hon .

@Cast1es I was speaking of "crutch" in a religious way such as religion being your crutch. If you have to use a physical crutch I did not mean to be demeaning to you in any way.

@DenoPenno I was laughing at the irony of her comment . I wasn't leaning on any of the things she mentioned , just thought her phrasing was funny , as I was in the wheel chair .

How about: Faith is useless without evidence, and especially without indication. Striving to ennoble others and yourself seems like as good a path as anything else.

Apart from math, even science doesn't PROVE anything, there is always doubt/error-bars/new evidence (science can disprove some things).

Science uses peer review to test the evidence. Science corrects itself when new evidence is found.

@xenoview I DID mention new evidence . . . 😛
I doubt ANY peer reviewed publication lacks 'error-bars'. 😮

When we make a decision for our lives, in a way, it's also based on faith. Why? The decision is made on present circumstances, not knowing what tomorrow brings. This is only my opinion, of course.

its called probability of out come & positioning ones self.

It’s all about trust, risk, and odds……

One is either a decent person or not. If one needs a reward or does good because of the threat of eternal punishment, they are not a good person. This is not complicated.

Faith is what a religious person use when they have no answer.

Superman…

With or without, lets strive to make ourselves better, to love one another and to do or cause no harm.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649202
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.