Agnostic.com

7 10

LINK Study shows more than half of teachers ready to leave profession

A new study shows teachers are more burned out now than ever before. They're quitting their jobs at a record pace because of exhaustion.

The National Education Association reports 55% of teachers are ready to leave the profession for good for a different job.

Sara Earleywine at Iowa's Hoyt Middle School says she's constantly covering other classrooms, even if it's a totally different subject. She says her peers just can't take it anymore.

"To lose that passion for a job is incredibly sad. So, it just makes me sad when I have great educators come to me and say, I just can't do this anymore. I just want to go to an office, sit in a cubicle and do my job," Earleywine said.

It's not just the teacher shortage slowing down schools. The National Education Association says the omicron surge is impacting substitutes, school nurses, bus drivers, and other staff members.

HippieChick58 9 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've got a "some-what" education, and this is not a recent event or deal with the virus. I took my university credits at night. When a person pays for the course, and the huge costs for books- the lecturer is respected.
I took a full-time community college course- with the teen agers- it was a joke! The jokers ruled the roost. The engineer-lecturer asked for quiet- the whole room was abuzz with infantile bull shit. He waited; he folded up his books; he walked out.

With all the book banning/burning and McCarthyite anti-CRT nonsense coming from the Q-friendly GOP I wouldn’t want to be in that culture war foxhole anymore either. It’s probably only going to get much worse as the county tilts further right into the guano sewer. And with COVID they are risking their lives for such a garbage social situation foisted on them by right wing goons.

And the Antimaskers aren't helping

I'd get the hell outta Dodge too.

A new bill in the Utah legislature would give parents permission to sue schools or education officials for any perceived violation of their parenting rights.

In Florida, Governor Ron DeSantis has introduced a bill that would empower parents to sue teachers for teaching the truth about US history.

A school board in Pennsylvania explicitly instructed teachers not to teach about the January 6 insurrection.

They can make 30% more at Costco, starting pay $17/hour around here, with good benefits & no whining or homicidal parents, either.
Added: they also would no longer have to buy pencils, paper, crayons & other supplies for 30 kids......

Can't blame them....any of them.

Unfortunately, I would too if I were still teaching. This situation is truly awful. Who would want to go into education these days?

I would not return.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649608
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.