Agnostic.com

10 10

Did this guy pocket my $20?

Today the Census sent me FedEx pre-paid shipping labels to return their computer and materials. Groan. The FedEx station is in Safeway grocery store. They don't have shipping tape or boxes.

So I went to the UPS Store that sells boxes but doesn't take FedEx shipments. Stood in a long line. Finally got to the front.

"I just need boxes for a computer and these documents," I called. A third employee called me over. Explained what I need. The computer was going to Tennessee. The documents to Los Angeles. He carried my stuff to the back. He spent about fifteen minutes boxing up my stuff.

When he returned, everything was sealed into a pair of boxes. Both registers were busy. I held out some $20 bills. "What do I owe you?"

"I'll give you a bargain," he replied. "How about $20?" That's great!" I replied. "Thank you! You did a great job."

I handed him a $20 bill. He didn't give me a receipt. He held the $20 bill against his leg. I walked out and wondered. Did he pocket the $20 or put it in a register?

Taped FedEx shipping labels in my car. Took the boxes to the FedEx counter inside Safeway. It feels good to get rid of that computer.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds like the guy totally did pocket your $20. But if you got what you needed, I wouldn't be all that upset about it.

Deb57 Level 8 Feb 9, 2022

You were taken. I run into customers all the time trying to pull similar tricks. These days, a receipt and 92 cameras are your best friend.

@Holysocks

UPS store charges at least $10 for two boxes. More for packing materials. Plus his labor.

I figure it was a bargain.

@LiterateHiker
As long as you are happy and everything was delivered. (Sorry, I am a bit nervous because I'm going to be sending a package to my sister soon.)

Maybe, Maybe Not. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as the package ships. Plus it seems like if there's a record of a transaction ( product being shipped) FedEx will need to see record of a payment. Unless he knows how to get a packaged shipped under the radar....Accomplices perhaps?

Many times, I've regretted getting a receipt for personal items. For business it's a must

twill Level 7 Feb 9, 2022

He donated it to a children's orphanage where he volunteers on Sundays after his shift at a soup kitchen.

You did not mention how long it took him to get everything boxed up but I think he made more than the minimum wage.😎😎😎

Yeah, he totally took it with him to the nearest bar. Slainte! LOL

Cash from one palm to another is a well-known method of getting things done all over the world. The word in several languages is "bakshish," which loosely translates to "bribe." And yes, there's an art to it. Or in many cases, there's a certain theatre to it.

It would be possible.

Did the computer and stuff get returned?

@yvilletom

Yes, I took the two boxes to FedEx in Safeway.

Will get a text when they are received.

Sounds like it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649634
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.