Agnostic.com

12 6

LINK LDS leader Brad Wilcox's racist comments have caused chaos among Mormons

(Having been raised in the Mormon (LDS) church, I cna say that it is definitely a racist religion.)

Mormon leader Brad Wilcox apologized after a speech Monday night in which he downplayed the long history of racism in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Wilcox, who serves as “second counselor in the Young Men general presidency” and is a professor of ancient scripture at Brigham Young University, made the comments during what’s known as a fireside.

snytiger6 9 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have first hand experience with Mormons and lived in Utah for quite a few years. Nice people, but nutty religion. Still have friends who are part of that culture. Some who were brave enough and strong enough to leave. Hard to undo generations of brainwashing.

Not to mention when you leave they will come to your door for years trying to get you to come back.

If you don't specifically and formally request that your name be removed from their records, they will still consider you to be a member, even if you haven't attended for decades.

It was about 10 years from when I first requested my name be removed from their records to when it was actually done. They want to keep names on their rolls to artificially inflate their total membership numbers, so it is hard to get your name removed.

That is no surprise. Their doctrine, until the Carter administration threatened their tax status, said black people didn't go to heaven - black Mormons turned white, and then, just like when they dropped polygamy (officially) their prophet had a revelation.

Yeah, I remember when they changed it. A lot of members got very angry about it.

Aside from Evangelicals I can think of no Christian sect less impressive than the Mormons.

I think Jehovah's Witnesses are pretty unimpressive.

Didn't the LDS Church fairly recently and reluctantly concede that black people were actually, in fact human?
Recently as within the past few decades.

In 1977 or 1978 they reversed their ruling that black men couldn't be bishops. They only did this because of declining numbers, and highly visible lawsuits from the NAACP and the ACLU. According to their Prophet, God changed his mind.

I remember it as blacks could be baptized and be members, but could not not hold the priesthood. Every other male member of the church, except blacks could hold the priesthood. Due to members converted in Africa who came to the U.S. who weren't told of the limitation filing lawsuits, they suddenly had a "revelation" that the curse was lifted. They claimed blacks and any person who wasn't white were descended from people who displeased god, so he cursed them with darker skin. To this day they still discourage inter-racial marriages.

When I was a kid, I often heard stories of persons who converted/repented and "became white" as a result. The stories were always second hand, and never actually happened. If it ever did happen you can be sure they'd have paraded such persons to promote their religion. The idea is nonsense, and rooted in an ignorance out of how "racial" skin color differences evolved. In my mind there is only one race, the human race.

They only allowed black men to hold the priesthood in 1978 after The "prophet" (profit) had a revelation around the time the NAACP and the ACLU were suing the church for the discrimination practice.
Coincidence!?!

Oh dear, it seems that Foot in Mouth disease has struck the Mormon Church yet again.

The entire damned leg.

Yes, the Moron Church is a very RACIST organisation BUT they do tend to send a whole lot of NON-white Missionaries to countries such as Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Which imo, seems very much to be a case of the Moron Church gilding the Lily.

But Matthew, why did you leave? You could of had your own planet. 🙂

LMAO... I can't ever remember any enjoyment out of going to church when I was a kid. I just never fit. There was a short period when I did try to believe, in order to better fit in with my parents ans siblings, but I just couldn't believe.

When I was in high school we were studying Greek Mythology at the same time we were reading the old testament in church. Side by side like that, it was pretty obvious that the bible is only more myths.

Most of my childhood was just going through the motions to keep my parents happy.

. . . silly, random, fun.
While queing-up with the MN Atheists for the yearly Gay Pride parade in Minneapolis, I noticed a group of Gay Mormons doing the same. I thought 'gay mormons' -- that's an "oxymormon' if I ever heard one. 🙂
(analogy -- log cabin republicans)

Yeah, I've seem the booths for gay Mormons at pride events. I couldn't get why they wanted to believe in a religion that denied a great part of who they are.

Due to my Mormon upbringing, I was in major denial myself. I left the church when I was 17 (in 1979), but because of my fucked up upbringing, I did not come to terms with beign gay until I was 23 (in 1985).
Religion can really stifle one's self knowledge and awareness of who you are.

Maybe 1852 is not an ancient enough scripture for this "scholar" (bullshitter) ?

twill Level 7 Feb 9, 2022

1852, did you NOT know that Jesus walked through the U.S.A. long before he was Crucified ?
He converted ALL the Native American peoples during his 'mission' then went down to Mexico and did the same, that is the name Jesus ( Hesus) is so common amongst the Spanish and Mexicans.

@Triphid The Mormons teach that Jesus came to the America's after he was crucified and rose again.

How can anyone that is black or brown be part of the mormon belief. The same could be said of LGBT.

The same could be said of any religion, and especially Christianity.

Or women

Oh, what a cross they now have to bear, he,he.

I do so hope that each 'cross' is made from West Australian Jarrah, one the heaviest Hardwoods know to Australian Builders and Carpenters.

@Triphid Until you mentioned it was a hardwood, I was imagining it was that tree with the acidic sap that burns the skin. (As demonstrated in the movie Crocodile Dundee 2).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649688
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.