Agnostic.com

1 3

LINK Equal Rights Amendment: Three Senate Republicans urge archivist not to certify the ERA - CNNPolitics

(CNN)Three Republican senators are calling on the Archivist of the United States David Ferriero to commit to not certifying the Equal Rights Amendment as part of the Constitution, as ERA advocates demand Ferriero publish the amendment before he retires.

In a letter dated February 8, Sens. Rob Portman of Ohio, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin and Mitt Romney of Utah wrote to Ferriero, seeking his "reassurance" that he won't act on the ERA "until it has been properly ratified and legal questions regarding such ratification have been resolved."

Backers of the ERA have been pressuring Ferriero, who's set to leave office in April, to publish the ERA as the 28th Amendment to the Constitution as part of his ministerial duties, arguing that it has satisfied all the necessary constitutional requirements and in fact took effect last month. However, key legal questions remain unresolved such as whether states can rescind ratifications of an amendment and if Congress has the power to lift a deadline retroactively.

(Republicans are really putting up a fight to make sure women remain in a second class status.)

snytiger6 9 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I didn't know this was still alive until (I believe it was) you posted about it a few days ago. I'm delighted that RBG didn't manage to kill the effort and have been loudly supportive of The ERA all my life. I believe Ferriero should include it.

They voted to retroactively extend the deadline for ratification.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.