Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Tennessee Parents, Teachers Push Back Against ‘Maus’ Removal | HuffPost Latest News

THENS, Tenn. ✈ — Growing up in rural eastern Tennessee, James Cockrum hadn’t given much thought to the possibility that one day he might find himself speaking about his Jewish heritage in front of a packed school board meeting.

But four days after news broke that the McMinn County school board unanimously voted to remove a Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel about the Holocaust from the district’s curriculum, Cockrum celebrated the birth of his daughter. That life-changing moment left the 25-year-old wrestling with the realities of the community he grew up in.

snytiger6 9 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a Jew and don't like the idea of making rats Jewish. I understand that these rats are actually mice but still...kind of insulting.

Do you know that the Third Reich put out tons of "comic books" depicting Jews as exactly that, "filthy vermin", before descending into murdering them? Maus is a direct reference to that shamefulness!

@AnneWimsey I understand it's being a parody but when that gets parodied then Jews will be depicted as vermin. I don't understand the need to depict it as anything other than of human shame so this whole Maus issue is beyond me.

@rainmanjr no, no, in the Nazi "comics" the Jews were Literally depicted as rats, pointy noses, rodent ears, hairy, dirty. Google it!

@AnneWimsey Oh, I see. I thought it a modern creation that mocks Nazi's so is popular in polite society. Jews already know the Nazi's have always seen us as vermin so that's of no great shock. I haven't enough interest in society's nonsense to google Maus, though. If we figure it out and live together then such insults die. If not then it no longer matters. Humans have no more time for Big Hate. This one kills us all.

@rainmanjr extensive propaganda to make their extermination seem fine.....sadly it worked great!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:650213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.