Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Education Department dismisses complaint over LGBTQ dating ban at BYU following probe | TheHill

The Department of Education has dismissed a complaint against Brigham Young University over its ban on same-sex romantic relationships following a probe into the treatment of LGBTQ students at the school.

In a letter to BYU President Kevin J. Worthen, the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) on Tuesday wrote that even though the school, which is affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is subject to Title IX protections against discrimination on the basis of sex, it is also entitled to a number of exemptions due to its religious affiliations.

The letter listed fifteen regulatory provisions that it said the school is exempt from, saying they would “conflict with the religious tenets of the University’s controlling religious organization that pertain to sexual orientation and gender identity.”

snytiger6 9 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To me that looks like a clear violation of the constitutional right to free association. If you don't like it you aren't entitled to government money. The constitution prohibits the government from endorsing religion.

Why oh why oh Why would anyone even slightly sympathetic to LGBTQ people even think about going there? Don't get it, at all......

I must admit that I signed up to go to Pepperdine because the company paid 80%. I still detest them and their values. I'll just they there might be worse ways to waste one's time.

I have never heard of anyone NOT beign accepted into BYU. It isn't hard to get into that college.

People choose to go there so...oh, well.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:650232
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.