Agnostic.com

7 4

Former believers' weigh-in (way out)?

I was born into the Christian faith to parents who were believers, but never pushed or brainwashed me on religion. As a result, I found it pretty painless to begin to reject theism in my early teens and didn't have to experience a catharsis to become an atheist later in life.

My question is for those of you who were once staunch believers for decades of your lives and had to claw your way out from under the weight and burden of religion:

What was the SINGLE most important factor, the BIGGEST (not final) nail in the coffin, the MOST unequivocal reason...that helped you to free yourself from the messy lies of religion?

August1 6 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reading the bible carefully, can't help but say: what a load of crap this is!

I know the moment I stopped believing in god. I was going through a difficult time in my life and had become very depressed. I had turned to god to ask for help and felt nothing in response. It felt like no one was listening (which was correct). I forced myself to ask if I really and truly believed in a god and the answer was no. I immediately felt a weight lifted from me.

I did remain somewhat agnostic for a short time but eventually settled into atheism. That was about 15 years ago.

After I left my parents home at 19, I didn’t think much about the religion I was raised in. I’d discovered alcohol, drugs and sex, and church didn’t fit into that mix. In 1990 I went through a tough divorce, and I lost my son in a car wreck. I couldn’t cope and turned to the religion I was raised in. I’ll try to give the short version. My prayers weren’t answered, so I blamed myself thinking I wasn’t good enough. Read the Bible cover to cover so I could be more godly. It was a different book than I thought from what I’d been taught. I dropped Christianity and described myself as “spiritual not religious”. That didn’t last. I finally realized that I believed in some made up god, and let it all go. I’m now a happy atheist.

my faith was always tenuous I suppose. I saw great generosity often enough, but not god. the "don't ask all the questions" aspect was kinda twerpy. i'm just not geared for it.

At an earlier time I studied to be a Pentecostal p[reacher. The day finally came when I realized I had studied too much.

The nail in the coffin for me was, reading the bible cover to cover at the age of 15. I stopped believing in christianity. Then I became a pagan for 23 + years. I was an agnostic for a few years, before becoming an atheist. Now an agnostic atheist.

The bible made a solid atheist out of me!

@Garban
It wasn't for lack of trying 😂

That's a tough call. It was either the consistent hypocrisy and phoniness of so many believers accompanied at the same time by getting to know so many non-believers that I admired and that said things making way more sense than the churches on so many issues....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:650460
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.