Agnostic.com

9 2

Hi I am a level 5 counselling student with a mini research project ... I'm looking to find out how agnostic counsellors meet spiritual faith in their clients. If you are a self described agnostic counsellor would you be willing to participate in a 30n- 40 minute interview at our mutual convienience?

GFGF 2 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Way back in the early 1990's to trained to be an addiction recovery counselor. I burned out in the internship, as I simply do not have the patience for how long the recovery process takes. But, I do have a two year degree in Addiction studies and a BA in Sociology.

Anyway, the subject of how to work with atheists and agnostics, as the twelve steps, which is used in almost every recovery program deals with a "higher power".

We were told that "higher power" does not have to be be god or any kind of supernatural entity. As an example of three higher powers of nonbelievers was a daughter, a kitten and a motorcycle. A higher power for recovery purposes is something that inspires a loving sense of caring.

From what I have read, on a per capita basis those who choose god as a higher power have a lower recovery rate and a higher rate of relapse. The etherial concept of god just isn't as powerful as something in the real world. At least when it comes to recovery.

I myself never has any addiction(s). However, I have a brother who is (a recovered) alcoholic and drug addict and became so despite a claim to believe in the Mormon faith.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share the concept of a higher power not needing to be god, as I suspect it is applicable to other forms of counseling. I think to find something a person cares about in the real world is much more powerful and effective than a belief in god.

Thank you for contribution. As I read the literature it seems to cut both ways there seems to be greater resilience amongst the spiritualy sensitive (not excluding agnostics here) with depression , agnostics seem to score higher on measures of rationality over theists. But am only begining to study this field. Thanks again.

Do you have any evidence supporting the idea there is a need for "spiritual faith"? Let me know, I'll wait.

Just looking at the profile (or lack thereof), this looks like a troll.

Perfect reply for a stance that embraces uncertainty. Not a troll just low profile on social media (I've been struggling with technology since LED watches first came out)

@GFGF Add a name, a location, your age, maybe even a photo. Go wild and write a sentence or two of bio. Until then, you're a troll.

"Manchester England England, across the Atlantic sea, and I'm a genius genius. And I believe in Claude. And I believe that God believes in Claude, that's me. That's me."

Good point! How are these "Levels decided or attained"? Is it anything like the "Doctor of Theology" or the "Fairytales PhD"?

And ... ummm ... I'm not a "genius genius" or anything like that, but I am a legend in my own mind if that counts.

What about atheist counsellors, or don't they count?

A very suspicious post.

Hi David ,
Thanks for the comment. Of course atheist counsellors count. Its just that I am exploring aspects of uncertainty in a counselling relationship. Such as you have expressed with me!

Good luck with that.

Yes. I am an LCSW in the state of TN. Message me.

I think new members cannot message until they reach level 4.

@skado I'm not sure about level 1 but you can message at level 2

@Tejas

Oh, OK. 👍

Maybe you should try the secular therapy project. [seculartherapy.org]

Thanks I will chase that up

I do think that agnosticism is a noble following for everyone, and would like to help with ANY research that helps people. I trained as a stress manager after leaving the teaching profession with too much stress myself.

@creative51 I find the word flaky unhelpful in this context . Perhaps you could redefine it or offer an alternative to make it more useful
The reason I am trying to help is because of the word research. Research is ALWAYS helpful even if results are negative because it eliminates elements which do not have to be researched again .

Some members of this forum need to be more confident that the title of the group can actually help in getting rid of religion. I feel that it is important to increase group confidence. I had not yet assigned lack of confidence to you. I do realise that some of my ideas are not accepted widely, but that is not up to me it is up to the reader.

Hi thanks for that . You make a very strong point in favour of research. Thanks for your offer but I am trying to restrict my study to practicing counsellors. regards Grant

@GFGF Good Luck . Will you post a link to its results = or a summary?

@Mcflewster Yes of course - given that I can navigate the site properly. . I anticipate that I will have something that I can share with you april/may ish

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:650617
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.