Agnostic.com

7 5

“How to want less” is the title of a piece in the latest “Atlantic.” ”My daughter’s mirth now utterly extinguished, she had the expression I imagine Jean-Paul Sartre’s daughter must have had every day. “So life is just a rat race, and we’re doomed to an existence of dissatisfaction?” she asked. “That sucks.”

For some, who can't get this, I have downloaded a word document.

[theatlantic.com]

JackPedigo 9 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Insightful and inspirational, with each passing paragraph I wanted less.

Mick can't dance, the song musicologically and lyrically does not slake my lust and what's more.

I've had my ups and downs but by and large I am a happy person - certainly lived up to what my teachers stated on my report cards - "If she would just apply herself". Finding what interests you so you can apply yourself comes easy for some and I just could not find that one thing that interested me, in school at least. Everything interested me as long as I was enjoying myself I hung around but like another Rolling Stones song I realized "You Can't Always Get What You Want". I did always find I got what I needed.☀️🌕🌟

I guess, sometimes, that is enough.

The Words (autobiographical) by Jean Paul Sarte is worth reading

I seek not satisfaction, and when asked, tell people I am happy enough. I am at a stage in life where I do what I want, mostly when I want. Little things make me laugh (like my dog currently barking at the squirrel that keeps coming back to the corn cob feeder in front of the window 😂). I ask for and expect little more, so am seldom disappointed.

"The secret is to manage our wants." Yep. Keep our expectations of ourselves and others low or reasonable and we're usually pleasantly surprised and therefore "satisfied" more often. Seems to be the crux right there.

A lot of people get this but unfortunately not enough to make a real difference in the huge amount of consumerism.

An old Chinese Proverb: "the more you want the less you understand. The more you understand the less you want."

His daughter was pretty sharp!

skado Level 9 Feb 15, 2022

Less is often more

???

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:650788
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.