Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Some Idaho Democrats Register as Republicans to Combat Far Right

(When I was in college in the mid 1990's, one of my professors said he registered as a republican, to vote for the least fascist candidate in the republican primaries. At the time I thought he was a bit harsh. However, today, I see his point as having been totally valid.)

In the deeply red state of Idaho, the Republican primaries generally decide who is going to make it into statewide office. As a result, The Spokesman-Review reports, some Democrats are changing their party registration so they can vote in those primaries and try to swing the election away from more extreme candidates and toward moderates. “We have such a faction of far-right Republicans in both Kootenai County and the state of Idaho,” Laura Tenneson, who made the switch, told the newspaper. “And there’s no way to work against those people without registering as a Republican in the primaries and voting for their opponents.” It’s hard to quantify how many Democrats changing their affiliation had the same motives, but the paper notes that a recent survey revealed 22 percent of Idahoans label themselves liberal, while only 14 percent of the state is registered Democrat.

snytiger6 9 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

😂 Of course who among us doesn’t believe the Republicans are doing the same things in states that lean blue? It would take many to really swing the primaries, but on close contests, it may make a difference.

I have heard many times of democrats doing this, but never a republican... so far.

@snytiger6 they are much sneakier and would never admit it in public. Given some of the candidates that win Democratic primaries, I am almost sure it is happening.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:651956
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.