Agnostic.com

5 10

"The hints that our ancestors lived in worlds shaped by meaningful symbols, as well as the need to survive, go back as far as archaeology can see. Much of the evidence is contested, of course. But the broad picture seems settled. The evolutionary psychologist Robin Dunbar sums it up in his book Human Evolution (2014): ‘Anatomically modern humans mark an important transition in our story because with them comes culture in a way that had never happened before.’ And from that culture came religion, with various proposals to map the hows and whys of its emergence."

[aeon.co]

skado 9 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yet more magical, mystical woo-woo from @skado I perceive.
FYI and PLEASE take NOTE @ skado, the Entire Universe is full of these so-called magical, mystical events, shapes, etc, etc, and they are NOT mysterious examples of Magical Symbolism, for that matter NEITHER is how the water rotates as it goes down the plug-hole from the kitchen sink, the bath-tub or the shower just as a child being born left-handed does NOT automatically mean that it is EVIL Incarnate, Yes, there are fewer Left-handed people than there are Right-handed, but there are also AMBIDEXTROUS people as well and NO(NE of then have horns, a tail, breathe fire and stink of brimstone.
NOW, take note PLEASE you HAVE attained Level Nine (9), ergo, you NO LONGER need to strive and add postings solely to gain extra points, you HAVE MADE IT, you have done something that, in my opinion, innumerable other Allibammy Hicks have either failed to do, fear to try to do or, due to circumstances such as Social, Breeding ( in-breeding ?????), complete LACK of Adequate Education, etc, etc, can and will NEVER manage to achieve.
However and most unfortunately in my honest and well educated opinion, you seemingly endless postings of baseless, never can be verified nor proven Mumbo-Jumbo and tedious woo-woo DO NOT, imo, assist in any way, shape nor form, your ATTEMPTS to extricate yourself from the Alabama Back-water mire of incessant insistence upon both following, believing in and spreading this insane mumbo-jumbo across this site and group like a mad womans turds.
Time to WAKE up methinks and start smelling REALITY rather than all that , imo, Hillbilly Bullshit.

No matter how much we wish, we cannot separate religion and culture from one another.

Ryo1 Level 8 Feb 22, 2022

I don't think we should try to separate them. While certain religions have crossed into other cultures thanks to missionary efforts, we see a number of examples where the religion is effected by the original culture. Historically, we have certain occurances that imply even important aspects of Judaism and Christianity could reasonably be understood to have been adopted from other cultures the Jews came in contact with.

@RussRAB Agreed 100%.

“Humans are pattern-seeking story-telling animals, and we are quite adept at telling stories about patterns, whether they exist or not.”
― Michael Shermer

“Human beings are pattern-seeking animals who will prefer even a bad theory or a conspiracy theory to no theory at all.”
— Christopher Hitchens

I think Michael Shermer's quote sums up the root of cultural development in humans and from culture comes religion in the formation of traditions and rituals which solidify the culture. Once aspects of culture are found useful by certain individuals in relation to the rest of a group, new dynamics take hold for better or worse.

Some here have been content in saying that religion was formed to control the masses, and I would agree that this aspect almost certainly had its place but I would contend that this control was a survival advantage in its initial phases. Having members of a group know their place within society and able to function in their capacity in that place allows all members of the group to function more efficiently and in concert with one another and all members of the society are better served more or less for their overall survival. That such a system can be abused is an inherent problem but still may not be detremental to the overall survival of the group. That such a system can be built on falsehoods whether innocent or not may still provide survival advantages which is what the Christopher Hitchens' quote would tend to support.

Culture and religions take on many forms, and the importance placed upon religions within certain cultures has also varied significantly. Many religions were able to incorporate other dieties within their pantheons as they came into contact with others from other cultures. Greek mythology reads almost more like Aesop's fables not requiring the kind of devotion we find in Christianity or Islam. That many of us conceive of religion as being most like our shared experiences with Christianity does not mean all religion is like Christianity in either its most conservative or its most liberal forms.

This is quite good. While being an inherently skeptical person and innately highly biased towards logic and intentive behavior, I have witnessed there is a very significant portion of the population that is simply not so inclined, or are only partially so (my personal theory of the Mindless 40%). These 40%'ers easily form group bonds due to shared experiences and are strongly tribalistic. I have long been aware that the same personality traits that influence people like myself to be Atheist also retard my forming affiliations and shared identities with other individuals and groups. You may have heard that organizing Atheists is like hearding cats because they strongly tend toward individualistic behavior. If left to us Atheists, civilization may have been longer in coming

It’s very interesting to me that in Jean Piaget’s cognitive development scheme, the last stage he described - the Formal Operational Stage - where the individual develops the capacity for abstract thought, it is estimated that between one third and two thirds of the adult population never complete this last stage of development. Your 40% estimate fits nicely within that bracket.

The stage just prior to that one - the Concrete Operational Stage - is indeed where tribalism reigns supreme.

y’all are saying that humans seek a king to fight their battles, essentially?

@bbyrd009

?

@skado 1Sam 8

@bbyrd009 1 Samuel 8:4-9

When it comes to ancient symbols, the first that comes to mind is the Egyptian Ankh.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652048
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.