Agnostic.com

3 0

“Whenever peace—conceived as the avoidance of war—has been the primary objective of a power or a group of powers, the international system has been at the mercy of the most ruthless member of the international community.” ......... Henry Kissinger.

A more proper goal, he argued, was for “stability based on an equilibrium of force.”
Source: Kissinger: A Biogrphy by Walter Isaacson.

What’s your take on that?

yvilletom 8 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A continuous nuclear arms race?

I might be wrong but I think the first nuclear arms race bankrupted the USSR.

@yvilletom I think Afghanistan put a big dent in their economy as well. In any instance the stockpiling of nuclear weapons is a catastrophe waiting to happen in way too many countries.

@Lorajay Evolution didn’t intend Homo sapiens. We just happened and may fail.

I've never been able to stand Kissinger but. .. As a former employee of the Department of Defense I always tried to convince myself that I worked for the defense of my country. I soon realized I worked for the gun runners of the world. A strong defense deterrent is needed but I will always resent the environmental waste,overcharging and pork barrel aspects of it.

Homo sapiens’ ruling classes also disappoint me.

History shows us he is probably right. Too many ruthless people have reached the height of power throughout history, and will continue to do so. The ruthless will do whatever it takes to get there, stay there, and will way to often, do what they want once they are there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.