Agnostic.com

14 11

LINK An atheist called out religious hate speech. Facebook punished him for it.

From the article...

YouTuber and podcaster Seth Andrews recently received a 30-day suspension from Facebook for the crime of… calling out the bigotry of a Christian hate-preacher. And since I accidentally played a role in his banishment, it seems worth chiming on what a horrible move this is on the part of Facebook (and its parent company Meta).

This stems from a tweet I made last week, announcing that the church of Jonathan Shelley, a New Independent Fundamentalist Baptist preacher, was getting evicted from its Hurst, Texas headquarters due to his anti-LGBTQ rhetoric.

snytiger6 9 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hear about more and more tone-deaf decisions from FB all the time. The inability to distinguish between hate speech and criticizing hate speech is one of them. They seem unable to tell what "context" means.

Ive lost count of times on fb jail.... I have learned however that if you take offending words a n put spaces in them the computers dont pick up on the text.... Just saying

I have been in FaceBook jail a few times. One time I posted that the pandemic would retard our economic recovery. "Retard" is a verboten word. Another time I was posting about how Israel has often voted against the US, and then there was the Israeli attack on the USS Liberty which was never apologized for. That was considered "Hate Speech". Another time I was kidding with an old high school friend about my birthday. I posted that if he said anything about my age I would 'beat him with my cane.' FB said that was "threatening violence." And then when I tried to appeal their ruling, they asked if I disagreed. I said yes. Boom, I got 3 more weeks in FB jail.

Fuck Facebook

Nothing REALLY new in this imo, " Fuckuupbook" via the mighty powers self-invested upon himself by Messiah Zuckerberg has been kissing the arse of the religio-tards for decades now since they ARE his greatest Financial Supporters.
Shit, I've lost count of the number of terms of Incarceration I have had and endured in the Zuckerberg Gulag.

We need to remember, more and more social media is run by algorithms and certain words get people tossed. That's what happens when you get sooo big and you are told you must create some regulations to curb hate speech.

ARE not these algorithms in-put and controlled by HUMANS in the first ? Humans that are employed by the likes of Zuckerberg for example?
Think about it deeply and see if you can see my point?

@Triphid Just because we created them does not mean we can control them. The point is to create something that doesn't need a lot of human intervention. With billions of humans using FB it would take a medium sized country to oversee everyone's comments.

@Triphid Like netnannies on search engines. The city of Scunthorpe was not shown in any searches the same for rape crisis centres and places for abused women to get support. Also breast cancer helplines vanished it is a crude algorithm that searches out forbidden words rather than looking at the entire page.

@Budgie Yes and as with ALL computer programming, FIRST much come the human element and human input that is where the bias originates from imo.

Post this in my Facebook group "Village of the Banned." I just got a ban overturned for quoting Hitler (attributed as Herr Schicklgruber) with regards to propaganda.

"The receptivity of the masses is very limited, their intelligence is small, but their power of forgetting is enormous."

Facebook is a platform that gets all of our opinions. At least it tries to. I think there are a few mods controlling the AI and it all goes back and forth by design. If this was not true they could not sell opinions and product info about us. Even so, they have me still banned from Marketplace because of a claim that I tried to use it illegally. I was not selling anything and only bought from the site once. I tried everything to get back on the site but I guess I'm banned for life.

There is a reason why Fuckbook is so called.

Who'd be a Facebook moderator eh? All day every day face to face with the worst social media has to offer. I'd go barmy.

It's all down to the luck of which of tens of thousands of moderators is called in to look at specific things. Many of them are bigots who will simply allow their own biases to dictate the decisions they make, and you can't get anyone at a higher level to respond to correct that, so the fascist ones get their way and enjoy the power trip it gives them. They'll get their comeuppance some day though: artificial intelligence will go through all their old decisions and kick the bad mods out, and their bad reputation will follow them everywhere they go online for the rest of their life.

I just got sprung from fb jail.
Did a whole week.
Just because I very politely asked Ben Shapiro to stop breathing, because other people needed the oxygen.
I even said please, for fuck's sake!

Pretty sure it won't be long before I'm back in.

So basically FB sent you to stand in the corner.

@JackPedigo Pretty much. Wasn't my first time, won't be my last.
Censorship sucks. I will always go against the grain.
It's my comfort zone.
😁

@KKGator Maybe next time take some crayolas and draw a pretty picture (or maybe a nasty one). lol

@JackPedigo EVER been sentenced to the Fuckerbook Gulag have you or are just "Mr. Nice Guy" who takes the shit and garbage from the Religio-tards on the chin?
Me, I take SHIT from no-one and have my say since it IS my RIGHT as a Human Being under the U.N. Charter of Human Rights.

@Triphid That's nice!

@JackPedigo Like it OR NOT it is TRUE, READ the U.N. Charter of Human Rights, which by the way like, Australia, the U.S. IS a co-signatory
nation. Or were you totally oblivious to the very important FACT?

Disgracebook, Twotter and Whimpstagram are the thought police. (Or Damn close to it and similar).

You barely have to say boo to right wingers and the religio haters to get a banishment period.

I once got one for calling something someone posted as racist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.