Agnostic.com

16 2

Buckle your seatbelts, it's that time of year when the Magical Mythical Tour begins again. Do you celebrate anything, and if so, how do you justify it? I celebrate LOVE and the annual renewal of survival and growth through another year, with people and animals I love. Raised Catholic.

Magnolia 4 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have small grandkids and we do the traditional Christmas stuff. I enjoy it mostly.

Heck i think x-mas is fun

Christmas has, nowadays, nothing whatever to do with christianity. It's a traditional celebration of friendship and excess - where you eat way too much with those you care for, and laugh a lot, and get rat-arsed, and generally just 'let go' a bit.

It doesn't need justifying. Just pour the booze.

I have an 11 year old who loves both Jesus and Santa. I celebrate for her.

I buy presents for people just because I like making people happy. I also like the feeling long up wrapping up in a blanket next to the fire place while watching Charlie Brown and sipping hot chocolate. For me it’s really about the colors and feelings I get from being around family.
I don’t celebrate Christmas at all and the idea of why some people actually celebrate it irritates the hell out of me, but it happens to fall during part of my favorite time of year so I put on my nice face and play cordial while Christians think that Christmas is their holiday and that some magic baby was born during this time.

For me, it's just the tradition of it. My parents made such a HUGE thing about Christmas, everyone was happy and well fed with homemade everything. So it's the warm cozies that make the season. Our home was normally overshadowed by dad's abuse, but for some reason all that faded for Christmas.

I understand.

Ugh, the abuse part. Yes. I lived that too. Both parents were alcoholics and dad died from it. Mom was probably bipolar, but that was not a diagnosis made back then. LOTS of bad memories in my camp. But, once I moved out and went to college 22 hours away by car, I made Christmas my own. One of my favorites: Dylan Thomas's "A Child's Christmas in Wales." The line, "The dog was sick" is my favorite. The dog was sick because he had been fed the Christmas feast, under that table. My connection in life is to animals, not necessarily because I don't connect to humans, because I do. But because first, my dad was a huge animal lover, and I think he was a highly sensitive person but grew up male in the 50s, with the whole James Dean thing, and he needed to at least appear tough. But he wasn't. So, he surreptitiously connected to animals. For me, I just connect to everyone, people and animals. But I think I got the first step from dad. So, the freeforall of Dylan's narrative...I really connect to it. Ironically, or perhaps fittingly, Thomas was an alcoholic, and died from it.

I try to avoid most of the big celebrations as best I can. I just don't care anymore.

Aww brother. I love you man!

The last few years I've just celebrated my days off from work completely inebriated, but I might do something different this year...I might catch a bus to the city for the weekend, Idk

I celebrate the season. I love fall, winter, and spring. Summer is rough over here. I use to get so hot on my job. One time I had a heart attack because of a lack of potassium in my body. Ugh!

I love to watch my grandchildren glow with excitement. The happiness is awesome.

I think the holidays are just stupid and religion's got nothing to do with it. The festive decorations ("festive" uuuugh!), the music that would justify a murder spree, the dumb asses out shopping, etc. It's just stupid and I can't wait for it to be over

Aww brother... lighten up. Get happy with your friends and enjoy. Don't be so hard on yourself. We didn't come here to be angry and vent anger did we? I find a way to live peacefully in this world without believing theres a god.

bring on the summer

Whew! Hot!

Hell yea! Summer!

What HPLoveshaft (LOL) said! Yes, I would have it be summer just about all year round. And, that's exactly why I live where I do. I tried Miami, it is indeed summer all year round. When you put out a carved Halloween pumpkin and it's rotting within two days due to the heat and humidity...well, that's just not right. LOL

I feel the holidays are secular enough that I'm not compromising any core values by spending time with family and friends. Besides, I think it's funny that Christians celebrate a relatively minor holiday (in the theological context) that was timed specifically to coincide with the pagan festivities around the winter solstice. It's a little petty of me, but that knowledge brings me a modicum of joy. 🙂

We build a huge bonfire in an effort to bring back the sun on solstice while roasting christians on a stick. We have a lot of fun.

<3 Geez, I'd like to celebrate with you! That sounds like a rockin' time! LOL

I celebrate community, friendship, actually anything that doesn't produce harm to others. I'm all for a good time.

Yes!

For me it's the solstice shortest day the returning of light the beginning of another cycle within cycles a new year begins. The solstice has a three day standstill as the sun begins its journey back from the southern tropic 21st 22nd 23rd but every 33 yrs there seems to be a hiccup wherby the three day standstill is the 24th 25th 26th hence the significance of those reappropriated dates.

I ‘celebrate,’ though I’ve no actual ..dance, the shortest day of the year … assuming they won’t just keep getting shorter 😉 Anymore, alone, with no social or parental responsibilities, I hole up. The fun is in the challenge of gathering provisions prior to the social shutdown -- making my home look as though I’m not inside - radio silence - as the ‘seasonal music’ drives me nuts … No TV, phone in a drawer, heat turned up, movies lined up, and time to kill ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 4, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6534
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.