Agnostic.com

12 3

Writing a novel and would like some opinions

Hey there friends. I’ve been writing a novel for a while now. I keep hitting writer’s block and quit before getting over it. But I keep all the chapters for when I eventually come back to it. Anyways, I wanted to get some feedback and see if there is any interest in it.

The basic premise of the story is a wealthy young man gets admitted to an asylum due to his mental health issues. I’m writing him as having a fictional mental disease that is similar to Dissociative Identity Disorder. However, he can hear and mentally speak to his other personalities. That’s not the main focus though, while there will be dialogue between himself and his personalities, it’ll be kept minimum.

The main focus of the book is a budding relationship with a female patient who has a similar disorder but comes from an abusive family. The story will revolve around them finding one another and overcoming the obstacles that come from their relationship.

Now, I want to include his twin sister who he had a relationship with earlier in his life who comes in and wants to destroy his relationship with the female he’s fallen for. And I’m thinking that she would be the primary antagonist. As issues like incest isn’t that common in current fiction novels. Also, I’d like to include a secondary antagonist as one of the doctors who is using his patients and the facility to make himself rich.

This is just a VERY shortened idea that I’m writing about currently. I also have a niche idea that I want to include hints that readers who are clever enough can detect and work out that will further the story or give some tidbits of events that happened prior to the events in the book.

Anyways, let me know what you think please.

Leo716 6 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If this were my project,I would be researching the asylums, maybe visited a few if you are close. Yes, it is not as fun writing about a place, but verisimilitude of the background in which the action happens can make or break the whole project.

This sounds very interesting. The first thing I would say is, don't talk too much about it, because if you talk it out (over the phone or in blogs like this), you will get it out of your system, and then not write it. Just write the damn thing. There is no need to follow a timeline; write the part that interests you at the moment, and then sew it all together at the end. If you have a difficult situation to overcome in the plot, attack that in the morning. Don't go to bed leaving a dillema for yourself. Wake up with something fun to write, if you can.

Good luck!

Great advice! I had gotten out of my system all my stories. Thank You.

@GipsyOfNewSpain You are very welcome! I've ruined more stories by telling my friends about them. Just call me Ms. Writer's Block.

I would just start writing it and see where it goes. Don't censor or force what you're writing to go in a certain direction, because it will limit you -- allow yourself to just write. It may take you in unexpected directions, but ones that may be powerful for the story. But the objective is to get it all down and then you can always go back and edit. Anyway, this has worked for me.

Hurry up and finish it so I can read it!

Asylum? As a mh professional that is a very outdated term

Readers love writers because without you there aren't going to be more readers, forge ahead and write it all down, then sort it all out until you have the novel you want.

Without knowing more about what you have done and particularly how you've gone about doing it, advice will be scattered like shot from a blunderbuss. I suggest you visit us at:

[agnostic.com]

So far sounds like that would make for a different novel than most currently out there, and the plot seems relatively stable.

If you want to be a writer and bring that creative idea from dreams into reality then you must do the actual work. Set yourself a time each day to write with a goal of say so many words each day. There are literally hundreds of on line articles about how published writers were able to write. It is a job like any other with a needed purpose, commitment and sweat. Otherwise it will never get past a daydream.

That sounds like good advice.

A song writer said don't be too preachy audience won't listen. You can write a too powerful to read stuff reader won't read it. Write in the moment, so if it is a drama scenario get into some drama. Get Scott Cards book Characters & Viewpoint. Just get it.

Sounds very intriguing! Did u watch that movie titled: split it was also very interesting version of mental illness displayed.?

I believe there is a writing group.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65485
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.