Agnostic.com

8 2

Why hasn't science or industry designed a ship that could recover the plastic floating on so much of our oceans and lakes?

Marine 8 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's no money in it. Figure out a way to make money with the crap they pick up, and they'll have something out there tomorrow.

Why isn't it being used.

@Marine you realise 8,000,000 tons is going in the oceans every year of plastic alone.

I did not realize it was that much but I wish we could at least try to fix the problem.

@Marine this machine is trying

It can be done easily enough, I think the UN or someone should fund it happening.

Great idea

A better question (perhaps) would be, why is this posted in the Politics category?

Because it requires a political solution.

@Marine ok

Who said a ship or grinding up the plastic was the best way to ameliorate the problem? Did oceanographic, environmental, or engineering experts say that?

Why aren't we asking about microbiologists genetically engineering microbes to eat the plastic (been done, I think)? Or nets to catch it (also done)? Or...?

Nets have been tried but the collection of trash in this manner did not prove to be cost effective or a good method. They had great difficulty removing the trash from the nets. Using microbes that are effective is a new science and has not been used as of yet. Also there is so much trash that it will take time for this method to be effective. A trash ship would be very effective. Read entry above , it seems it has been invented by the Dutch.

Someone is working on a pipe like device the can suck plastic debris up.

The grinding process is preferred because of the abilty to use less space to store the material.As I understand the process it would require several ships one to grind the material and the others to haul the waste away.

Probably because the huge uncaring for our planet population overwhelmingly trump's technology's abilities without humans stepping up to become responsible n pro active to our Earth. ?

Once again it seems the profit motive prohibits a common sense solution to a world wide problem.Surely we could design a ship with the tools to grind up this plastic and thus remove it from our waters.I guess it just would not be profitable and the governments are to cheap to do so.

An enzyme has been inadvertently developed that consumes plastic. Sounds good in print but I would wonder what else it might consume or what long or short-term aftereffect may develop.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.