Agnostic.com

7 5

Had to post this here since it's so silly but true. Chicken Kiev is being changed to chicken kyiv. Apparently this is out of respect for Ukraine, it's culture, etc. Yeah, this is going to make a big difference in the world.

[ladbible.com]

FvckY0u 8 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Our old pronunciation of "Kiev" is out of date. They would like us to pronounce it "Kyiv" now. It's like Peking became Beijing, and Bombay became Mumbai.

A lot of eastern cities were renamed by invaders. Some of those cities are reclaiming the original name. I ran across it a lot when I went east and visited numerous cities. They said they were going back to the original name now that the invaders were gone.

Soooo, doing Nothing is preferable?

@darren316 You are making the assumption that they’re not doing anything else… based on what?

@darren316 They probably weren’t aware that Kjiv was the Ukrainian name for Kiev…were you? I know I wasn’t!

@darren316
Thank you for your last post. I meet people from around the world with all sorts of history in their family that they aren't proud of. None of us are perfect, but when people try to bring back their history, my heart goes out for them.

Yup no difference

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 11, 2022

It’s not silly…it’s just a nice gesture to show support for Ukraine at the present moment and is in line with many other companies and people who are acting in some way to show solidarity. It doesn’t change the product but maybe people will be reminded that Kjiv or Kiev is under siege at the moment and prompt them to donate money or do something to help the more than 1 million Ukrainian people who have been made into refugees.

Absolutely

Chicken Kiev is still Chicken Kiev. Bombay Gin is not call Mumbai Gin. Peking Duck is not called Beijing Duck.

Well, it might make a difference to Ukrainians, which is the point. Anyway, nobody likes seeing their name misspelled, right, Derryn?

Remember Freedom Fries?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:655069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.