Agnostic.com

6 21

Einstein was a brilliant skeptic

"Einstein sometimes used the word 'God' to mean the amazing laws of the universe, but he was a functional atheist. For example, he wrote in The New York Times in 1930: “'I cannot imagine a god who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear and ridiculous egotism.'”

Full Article: [patheos.com]

nogod4me 8 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As Voltaire said, God created man in his image and man return the favor

I've read this before and I get it. The problem is all of those religious believers that deny what Einstein said or try to twist it around. Many still try to claim that Hitch converted and "came to god" before he died. Nonsense!

Who did his do?

Gracefully said in a time when it was no doubt more risky to voice it.

Can't fault that. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 21, 2022

It would appear that Einstein believed in the god of Baruch Spinoza.

[britannica.com]

@Garban See Walter Isaacson’s bio, Einstein: His Life and Universe. AE was a mathematician.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:656880
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.