Agnostic.com

11 1

What do you do when you get bad news?

I used to pray but I'm encountering something that hasn't happened since I stopped believing in all of that. My aunt and cousin were in a bad wreck and they are too far away for me to go see them and K don't have any money to help... so what do you do to help in a situation like this?

riariveter 5 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Call a family member and let them know your concerned for them and theirs. That's the best a person can do. Don't get all up in it. Just heart felt sorry should be a start.

I'm sorry sister. I've found this is one of the more challenging things for me because "I'm praying for you" no longer has meaning for you. Let's be honest though, praying for someone, believer or not, is literally the least you can do, and it's difficult to feel like there is nothing you can do when someone you love is going through trauma. I have found the simple words, I'm sorry this has happened to you, have a profound effect on the receiver. I think what you're dealing with is more feeling helpless in a situation you can't control or fix, and this is normal when you care. It helps me to recognize and accept there's nothing I can do other than hope everyone comes out the other side, and let them know they are loved. In the end that's really all anyone can do in a situation like this.

There may be nothing you can do to help, but you can certainly console and comfort the injured and the bereaved.

I most often tend to read (escape into) a book.

I might sometimes just go for a walk and appreciate nature.

I light lose myself in computer games.

I might just listen to music.

sometimes you just can't help but you can't blame yourself or beat yourself up over it.

It does not need to cost much to spring for a meal, even long distance. You might find a gift card for an eatery near them, put what $ you can in it, and mail it with well wishes.

When I was in a bad way, food, calls, cards, help with errands were all very appreciated.

Zster Level 8 Dec 4, 2017

I would call them and say "I am thinking of you". If I can help by watching children or take care of pets or housewatch I would offer.

Hey, you could send a card or call.. just let them know that they are in your thoughts..

Stay in contact with family who are there wit them. When they are able to talk, tell them your feelings.

I think good thoughts toward them/of them. Imagine them well off. I don't think of it as prayer as I am not asking for intercession, just imagining I might pluck a string with positive resonance in our interconnectedness

Call, write, email or FaceTime. They’ll appreciate even a note.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.