Agnostic.com

4 1

how good of an idea is it to back Putin into a corner in this way? Is there a way to leave him an out? Would that be a good idea or not? Will he simply kill, using chemical, biological or nuclear weapons, the ~30 million Ukrainians not yet evacuated or killed?

I think the US needs to be realistic about the fact that it is dealing with a madman who is holding millions (if not billions) hostage, who has already killed some of them, and is going to kill more. This is not to advocate for taking it easy on him, but US strategy needs to build on past experiences with such people and approach the matter in a reality-oriented way. My questions are not rhetorical. I don't know the answers. However, I do think we in the US, both Republicans and Democrats, made a mistake in how we have handled Putin's Russia up to this point, including that I think we should not (in my opinion) have poked the bear with our efforts to bring Ukraine into NATO. In my fallible view, even a madman has a point when he points out that the US would not have tolerated the threat of nuclear weapons on its doorstep, and that he would not either.

kmaz 7 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your questions contain opinions and are rhetorical.

Thanks, you're at least partially right, there was a rhetorical element to this. I was writing quickly so should have phrased things differently.

Still, I am not decided what the answers are, and we are in an environment where there is not (in my opinion) enough conversation about these topics from a realistic perspective. So, any further thoughts welcome.

One thing that particularly bugged me - some at the Federal US legislative level thought it would be a good idea to send warplanes to help out. Is this or is this not a good idea? I thought it was a bad idea and President Biden seems to think so also.

@kmaz Before America supplies warplanes, ask “What will they attack?” Biden did ask.

I wish people would read Orwell, Putin may well be an evil man but he is being cynically exploited by the western powers. Civilians are being targeted in Palestine, Syria and Yemen with US support and the resulting refugees are still suffering while being all but being ignored by the media. The ridiculous pissing contest that used to be called the cold war never ended.

There's a simple reason for different behavior about Ukraine and Palestine, Syria, Yemen,..etc:
Ukraine conflict is NOT a local matter and will affect the whole world balance! (as already did), from countries' Military Budget, Oil/Gas Price, Power Balance, Global Trade system, International Security, Power Blocks,...etc.
Palestine, Syria, Yemen,..etc Don't have such an impact!
from Human Rights Perspective, yes it's double-standard. But From a World balance perspective, you can't compare them.

I don't believe Putin has been backed into a corner.

Putin launched the military campaign.

Zelensky has been asking for direct negotiations with him in order to work out a solution and end the war.

Putin is free to engage with Zelensky at any time.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 24, 2022

NATO Excuse is just a Joke! how about Crimea!? soon or later that asshole wanted to do the same with any pretext! listen to him, he doesn't believe that country even exist as an independent nation! look at Belarus, it's like another state of Russia!
But how the world should respond to be proper! War? Nuke ? Smile? Ignore all the blood?
then What about the next?
How about the other countries with the same desire?
then Why does the United Nations even exist?

Diaco Level 7 Mar 24, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657376
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.