Agnostic.com

4 2

OUR FRIENDSHIP WITH INDIA: (a speculative opinion)
Virtually every convenience store in America and probably half of physicians and attendants are Indian and they make many of our pharmaceuticals, not to mention the many restaurants and discount grocers. The next time you patronize these establishments, maybe you should question India's tacit support of Russia, their long-time close friend and trade partner. About eight to ten UN member countries openly support or refuse to condemn Putin's "war" against Ukraine. Those countries include China, North Korea, Pakistan, Syria, Belarus, Yemen and Venezuela. By refusing to support sanctions against Russia, our friend, India appears to stand with these nations in their tacit support of this war criminal. I have long admired the Indian people but this fact gives me reason to doubt the sincerity behind their country's "friendship". Could it be duplicity? To quote an ancient proverb, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" I would submit that the reverse is also true "The friend of my enemy is my enemy."

fishline79 7 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Brown Americans are encouraged to be on the lookout for Fishline79 and his ilk.

Yeah, watch out. I'm coming to get you! Sorry if my opinion about a governmental policy threatens you personally.

@fishline79 Why would your disdain for Indian government policy translate to a boycott of an American grocery, restaurant or medical service?

“Indian” is quite broad. And many could be Indian-American US citizens. They or ancestors may have left India for a reason. I am partly of Swedish descent, but if Sweden were to do something bad must I answer for it? I have Scots-Irish (maybe the orange people) background and I have no truck with Loyalists in Northern Ireland.

Aziz Ansari is Tamil (maybe an atheist) and Dinesh D'Souza is Catholic. There’s a lot of diversity in India. And however long people of Indian descent have lived in the US, UK, or elsewhere, are they responsible for Indian geopolitical stances? There are also Russians in the US who may not agree with what Putin is doing. Masha Gessen is a prominent example of a Russian-American Putin critic.

I’m not about to go to a Chinese restaurant or up to a Chinese-American and query them on various stuff that China itself does I find problematic. Their family may have migrated to the US long before mine.

And there’s a good chance that if you query a Venezuelan American about Chavez or Maduro they might rant about how horrible either has been for that country. The stance Venezuela takes toward Putin and Russia is not on their shoulders.

Punishment of a nation necessarily affect everyone with ties to that nation. This can not be helped. I do not hold all members of any society to account for all but I do hold the nation speak as everyone. I don't actually like Indian society, their cast system is damned near Talibanism, or their food so it's easy for me to boycott. I would think it easier for others but liberals tend to get enthusiastic, when food is concerned, and reject boycotts. Enthusiasm is kind of annoying.

Did I say that everybody should burn down the businesses of people from "Asia Minor"? In fact I said I admire the People of India. (what should I call them without being politically incorrect?) I'm a North American and I criticize Biden often, not to mention our foreign policies. That doesn't mean I hate all citizens of the US or any other country.(not including most citizens of the "South" ) Let's just forget everything and watch "Survivor" or "Duck Dynasty" on television.

Prime Minister Modi is an asshole buddy of Putin's.

You missed the IT department of every govt office and corporation includes the majority personnel from India (mostly on contract on H1) and is most likely headed by an Indian.

But nothing is going to happen that you hope for because activism is one thing and the bottom line is another. Secondly, the American corporate business will collapse without the Indian IT talent. I have been in management in the financial services in New York and in public sector in Texas. All these places cannot function without this IT talent. We cannot even recruit enough IT talent that is white or American.

Hard to accept but this is the hard truth. Most Ivy league getters are Indian, spelling bee champs are Indian, top science and maths scorers, SAT scorers are Indian, most university researchers, scientists are Indian, highest household income is Indian, most home ownership is Indian, household with most savings is Indian, least mortgage defaulters are Indian, most educated ethnic group is Indian.

Nothing even remote to what you want will happen.

Last but not the least, America is a very small partner with India in trade and defense. India buys most defense from Russia, European imports to India exceed America's. Americans don't have much sway on the world. Do you know America doesn't have an embassy in North Korea but many European countries do and they trade with North Korea? Your views are very US centric. The world is a much bigger place.

India is a self declared non-aligned nation for 70 years and it will do fine without American support. Even the service outsourcing to India by American and European business will continue strong because the bottom line matters, not activism

@darren316

Good for you. Do you see the majority of you around you? All I have seen in my 33 years of work across five states is IT department staffed with most Indians.

@darren316

There is a big story of how that started in the US and India 29 years ago but there is too much to write about but I'll leave with two hints.... Chandrababu Naidu in India and Y2K panic in the US in 1996.

I have to admit annoyance at IT outsourcing and other customer service call centers to India, Bangladesh, etc but it’s not the fault of the person on the other end. Welcome to neoliberal transnationalism. Some are quite proficient with English (because colonial history) and very cordial. Though annoyed already because the root reason for my call (product complaints) that person has as much control over their country’s shenanigans as I do mine and they are probably living paycheck to paycheck so I might vent about my problem (they are good at calming deescalation) but it would be pointless to complain about the politics of their country. They could be a marginalized person.

@Scott321

Our outsourcing to India has enriched Indians for over 30 years, now they have houses with backyards, swimming pools like we have in the US but best of all they have what we don't..... maids for very cheap in India. A cooking maid for 3 meals a day will cost you only $50 to $100 per month. There are restaurants in Hyderabad and Bangalore that we will not afford today. I have been there. Thanks to us.

@St-Sinner My chief issue with India is Hindu nationalism and the traditional caste system. I’m for the underdogs. But I also have issues with the fatalistic Elect orientation of Calvinism and though Hindu castes are quite static on paper, upward mobility of contemporary Western capitalism sounds to be illusory (much like the veil of Maya).

@Scott321

I agree with you. I was born Hindu and don't like a bit what they are doing in India.

"IT" is largely responsibility for the breakdown of society in this century. Virtually every institution we use every day has been polluted or controverted by computer technology. Things we used to take for granted no longer work like they used to. The electoral system, the educational system, postal system, travel (I can't even buy an airline ticket to my second home as I have been doing for 50 years) I can't talk to anybody to get help with utility problems, I get 20 "robo" calls" every day. People in countries I never heard of are trying to steal my identity or my bank account. All of these things are because we have come to depend on computers for everything we do. Putting all of our eggs in the basket of computer technology is the "Pandora's Box" that will destroy us all.

have been travelling

I sincerely HOPE the "American corporate business" collapses! I'm tired of people calling me with "Indian" or "Philippino" accents calling me or answering when I call to inquire about anything!

@fishline79

IT is not responsible, we are.

Outsourcing was a direct result of very high living costs and wages in the US and Western Europe. We want large homes, three car garage, European vacations, bonuses, paid leave of all kinds..... That is why outsourcing and China manufactured imports have been happening. Now India has become expensive to coporates and they will move outsourcing to Eastern Europe like in Romania, Bulgaria etc. Just watch.

Indian IT workers in the US is irreversible, just like Mexican and Central American labor in agriculture in California and elsewhere is irreversible. Americans are no match in their hard work and cost. When I worked on Wall Street in the '90s, I left work after midnight every day and showed up every morning at 7 for 16 years. I got huge bonuses, never had a mortgage for more than 3 years. I fully paid off.

@St-Sinner You think I don't know that? Don't patronize me. I wasn't born yesterday. Thanks, but I really got hell on "Agnostic.com" You think I hate "brown people". I don't think anybody read what I wrote. All of the "Brown people" who work as slaves for corporate America, and people who work on "Wall Street"; they sit in front of computers too, but they make phone calls to other rich people so they can steal their money and bankrupt the country. The Indian "slaves" are paid a pittance by Indian billionaire "oligarchs" who kiss the asses of people like Trump and your collegues. I do like Indians but all the ones who come here are the cream of Indian society, you know, the "Touchables". But, thank Krishna, at least they're not Christians! And, by the way, why don't you change that disgusting picture you have on your profile?

@fishline79

My profile is very handsome.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.