Agnostic.com

1 3

LINK Black Musician Racially Profiled at Citibank - YouTube

Another "Banking while Black" event in America.

redbai 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've gone into a bank to cash a check for $140. I wrote the 1 quickly so it looked a little bit like $740. Evidently the bank teller thought $740 was too large of a check for a young man in sweats and a t-shirt to cash, so they had me sit for a long time while they reviewed it. Finally, after waiting a long time, the bank manager came out and asked me why I was cashing a check that was so large. I looked at the check, pointed out that the 1 could be interpreted as a 7, but is said in writhing One Hundred Forty and no/100 dollars.

I don't know how they could have been so stupid to not read the text "One Hundred Forty and no/100 dollars"

I don't know why they were so spun up over me trying to cash a check for $740.

I attributed it to simple incompetence. Not to racism.

Things like this happen to white people all the time.

It's not proof of systemic racism. It's more proof of systemic incompetence.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 26, 2022

I note that they did not confiscate your check, close the bank and tell you that you had to wait for the police. So all you're doing is pretending that your experience was the same to attempt to mitigate the racism in this one. It's something that bigots do all the time when racism is pointed out to them.

@redbai Another story. In college, my brother tutored minority students. He went in to a university administrative office several floors up to collect his paycheck for tutoring. Almost everyone who worked in the office was black. One of the people who worked in the office was illegally parked on the street outside. A parking officer pulled the little cart up, issued a ticket to the illegally parked car, and continued on. Someone in the office saw the ticketing happen, and everyone in the office went on a rant about the racist parking officer. The entire time, my brother was thinking to himself "How did the police officer know the person who had illegally parked the car was black?". If you look for racism everywhere, you will find it everywhere.

@BD66 Another pathetic attempt by a bigot to mitigate racism. If your brother is as much a bigot as you I have no doubt the story is more racist bullshit. The idea that "everyone in an office" starts complaining about something that happened outside to a single person's car is ridiculous and obvious hyperbolic bullshit, stock and trade tool of racists everywhere.

If you reflexively make facile excuses for racism you will never recognize it even when it obvious.

So back to your original bullshit answer. Did they confiscate your check? Did they lower a gate and block your exit insisting you wait for the police? Or did you change the story to some bullshit your brother claimed happened because you realized your experience was nothing like the black woman trying to cash her check as there were discrepancies on your check to call it into question and nothing wrong with the check of the young lady?

@redbai

I believe the young woman in the video was trying to cash a third-party check, so you can't draw a complete parallel. There is more risk to the bank for cashing a third-party check than a first-party check. I was trying to write a first-party check. I had more than $740 in my account. I wrote a check for $140 using a check with my name on it. I had an ID to prove I was the person writing the check and the person whose name was on the checking account. That's what made their suspicion of me completely ridiculous.

I could generate a youtube video and go on a rant about how the bank discriminates against young men wearing sweats and a t-shirt, but I got on with my life.

As far as my brother's story goes, there are two possibilities:

1. What he described actually happened. It made enough of an impression on him that he remembered it and told me about it.

2. He completely fabricated the story.

He has only told me one story like this in his entire life, and I'm not aware that he has ever fabricated a story like this, so I'd give it a better than 99% chance that the story he told me actually happened, and less than a 1% chance that he fabricated the story.

@BD66 So you either didn't watch the video and or didn't comprehend what was going on. I'm not surprised.

She was cashing a check her father wrote for her so it was not a third party check and as usual, you expose ignorance to make a non-point. I will also note that they did not confiscate your check or lock down the bank in order to keep you there for the police as they did the young lady. In your usual racist perspective you totally ignore how she was actually treated and only focus on some minutiae in or to ignore the point. The only common factors in your story and hers is that they occurred in banks.

I couldn't give a shit about your brother's claims. You sound like a Christian commenting on the infallibility of the bible as evidence. We don't have to take the word of someone's brother's story in reference to this young lady. It's on tape and the bank has admitted their employees didn't follow bank policy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657625
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.