Agnostic.com

6 3

I’ve been living in utter dread of a nuclear war. I haven’t felt this frightened since the 1980s.

I anyone else afraid? Is anyone else actually preparing??

Russia Lists Justifications to Use Nuclear Weapons as Ukraine War Drags On

[newsweek.com]

Dmitry Medvedev, a former Russian president, who now serves as deputy chairman of the country's security council, outlined four ways that Russia could be “entitled to” use its nuclear arsenal — even against a nation that is only using conventional weapons.

He then added that there should be no reason to doubt that Russia would be “ready to give a worthy response to any infringement on our country, or on its independence.” Meanwhile, on Friday, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that maintaining “readiness of strategic nuclear forces” remains a priority for Moscow.

Apunzelle 7 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've gone to jail to make nuclear weapons illegal but it's climate change that makes me believe homo sapiens time is up.

I don't think most people realize the threat, having lived under it for 75 years.
It is interesting to note that during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, 40 million Americans took it seriously enough to leave their homes, and head for rural areas. That would be equivalent to 80 million doing that today.
You are not being paranoid. The threat is real .
Give Humans the ability to cast artificial Sun Bombs at their enemies, and they will!

Start playing poker, Kathleen, and learn how to bluff.

Fourteen-year-olds ought to know, so start with your youngster. Limit bets to “Who does the laundry this week?” et cetera.

I don’t understand the poker and bluffing reference. Help me understand … how does that relate to fear of nuclear war?

@Apunzelle Briefly, poker players who bluff PRETEND to have cards that are more likely to win than the cards they actually have. They don’t know if other players may have cards that will win, but they hope to frighten other players into quitting. Players who bluff also fear they may lose.

Putin, pretending he will use nuclear weapons, hopes to frighten the Ukraine’s Zelensky and America’s Biden into quitting. Putin also fears he may lose.

@yvilletom Thank you for explaining. One side of me hopes and believes it’s a bluff, but another part of me sees Putin as not entirely rational, which makes him scary.

I am not fond of the idea of dying, much less being flash roasted. But, we all die and have no power to stop it. I had a period of severe paranoia about it when Reagan put Pershing missiles in Europe.

The main thing is that there isn't much to destroy in Ukraine. Right now, the only target of value is Kiev, and if it were destroyed, it would be seen as a act of petulant revenge rather than military strategy. The Russians don't really have much they can do that isn't a war crime or crime against humanity.

They've expended significant effort to pretend they weren't responsible for the use of gas in Syria. There'd be no covering this up and no drowning demands for regime change (no end to sanctions).

I don't think they will blow up the world but I fear that someone will detonate a device. It hasn't happened since 1945 but once some country breaks the ice, there's no going back.

Nuke! No Way, Don't worry at all. NATO is ready!
oh, against Nuke danger there isn't anything to do as a citizen, governments are sober enough.

Diaco Level 7 Mar 27, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657951
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.