Agnostic.com

21 10

Very looooong blessings at Easter dinner

How do you deal with long praising Jesus blessings during Easter dinner with the in laws. Thanking Jesus for the food and safety for the Ukrainian people(LOL), blah , blah , blah….

Specman 6 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe offer to do the prayer yourself, then write a very secular comment that talks about what you are thankful for. I’ve done this before with my family and they seemed to like it. 😉

I haven't had this problem in decades, but like @Beowulfsfriend, this was pretty much me at a recent invocation prayer before a public banquet.

I enjoy looking around to see who else is a heathen like me too.

I tell everyone that Easter is indeed a magical time. I see Jesus holding the Easter Bunny who is holding his basket. They are both waving at me. This is in my mind. As for praying over the food, why do that? Can I also thank Jesus for dirty clothes and a need to clean the house. Who's Grace? Maybe she will help me. OK, I want to meet her.

Hum during the blessings, as if you're really into it.

I ignore that nonsense. If you can't do that, don't go. If your wife doesn't like that, get a divorce.

Haven't had that problem in years. In the past, I just waited quietly, head dipped but eyes open to watch those who peek.

I see no reason to bow my head.

I sit quietly until it is over.

Volunteer to say grace yourself, then quote something ultra-humane but profoundly non-religious (Bertrand Russell maybe?)

Truthfully, I don't engage people who force me to endure their nonsensical rituals.

But I get it, you inherited these family members. Still, the neutral position would be not to have religious rituals when not everyone present is religious. If they insist on subjecting you to their religious rituals, will they give you equal airtime?

If you voluntarily attend these functions, you deserve all the prayers you’re subjected to!?
No sympathy here….🤷🏻♂️

Getting mad at me won’t fix the problem!? Stay your ass home maybe?!🤨

I watch the Easter Beagle along with the Christmas Rabbit.

My In-Laws, while religious, never prayed before meals, so happily I never had to deal with this.

You are very fortunate

I would consider leaving the room in advance and boycotting the blessing. I usually am ok with, " Their house, their rules", but not if I feel someone is abusing their indulgence on my part. Give and take is a two-way street....

I ask to be allowed to speak, then I thank Jesus for all the crappy shit going on right now, I want to thank Jesus for bringing us the COVID pandemic and allowing the death of millions around the world, and for allowing Russia to invade Ukraine and kill innocent civilians, I remind all the imbeciles in the table what they already know, Jesus is omnipotent and all powerful, nothing happens on this earth without his intervention, so thank Jesus for allowing so much shit to happen because he loves us, end your prayer by asking Jesus to please go away and don't help us so much because with a friend like this, who needs enemies?

@Mofo1953 You're suggesting actually engaging these religious wing nuts? Just ignore their dribble which apparently you're stuck hearing. Don't put off the free meal which hopefully is good. They probably go to bed early so you can get home shortly after dessert.

@PapPap look pap smear, go fuck yourself, see if jesus stops you before you penetrate yourself with a donkey dildo, now you and your so called soul can get the fuck out of this site you religious imbecilic troll!

@barjoe you miss the point completely joe, an easter dinner is a family affair, if they do invite me and still insist on saying that bull crap knowing what they know about me, then all bets are off.

@Mofo1953 I don't have time to argue with morons.

@barjoe projecting or looking at mirror?

@Mofo1953 I'm not talking about arguing with you. I'm talking about arguing with relatives at family dinner. Those were the morons I was talking about. Now let's not you be a fucking moron.

@barjoe dude, it's my family and they know better, I did exactly what I said a long time ago and they got the message loud and clear, not with the actual virus or Ukraine but with the bad shit that always happens in our diseased planet, I'm still invited to all family events religious feasts or not, they're still brainwashed but as I said, they know better now, they never mention anything religious on my presence, lastly I'm a great cook, they know this too, so I'm always expected to bring something delicious because we're a big family, they stand to lose more if they vex me, you see how you missed the point now?

@PapPap This is an atheist website. Can't we have our own thing without religious trolls injecting their religious nonsense? Here you go. There is no god. Never was. Jesus not only wasn't god, he never even existed as a man, it's a mythical person.

@PapPap threatened by a mental midget like you? Please, don't flatter yourself. You're nothing but dirt under my shoe, a stupid religious inept troll who wants to remain in an atheist site to spew their imbecilic rethoric. Obviously since you didn't object to the actual act of fucking yourself with a donkey size dildo, you're now dismissed to proceed with that endeavor. Once you're done, leave this site that doesn't share your sadistic belief in a vengeful and narcissistic faux deity. Or if you're going to stay just to confirm you're the troll you say you aren't, then you can come to my place in Floriduh so that you suck my cock and swallow all my cum, seeing that you love those things. No hard feelings except for my hard cock. Satisfied now?

@PapPap I'm not telling you to leave. I'm telling you this is an atheist site and I'm not buying what you're selling. I don't go on Christian websites and tell them that their beliefs are pure fairy tale. If I did that, I'd be a troll. That's exactly what you're doing. Trolls will be trolls. Have a nice day.

@PapPap I don't believe in gods or demons you brain dead moron, now go continue fucking yourself with that huge donkey dildo you love!

@PapPap The Admin won't block you so I guess you'll continue to troll this site going on and on about your fictitious deity. You'll prolly do stuff like this until the oxygen leaves your brain and your consciousness fades to black. After that you'll be unaware of anything including the maggots that will inhabit what's left of your worthless existence.

@PapPap IMO you don't belong here. I don't belong on religious sites. I don't want to hear any opinions about religion. I know what I know and I don't care what your think. I can find plenty of women on this site won't be in the least bit understanding and will call you the troll that you are.

I'm never invited to dinner at anyone's home.

I don't attend gatherings that are disrespectful of atheists. So I have become an introvert. My father would stand up and politely dismiss himself until the observations were complete. Or he would stand up at the conclusion and announce "Long Live the People's Republic of China!" If I was invited I would observe them as we once observed the rituals of "savages". Same as if I was invited to an alien world's rituals. I would become an anthropologist & record their absurd appeals as a testament to their helplessness. But it makes them feel better as if they had some control over the uncontrolable.

I remember my Mother and me being invited to an Easter dinner. My friend's family identified as (super) Christian, and I felt very uncomfortable spending so much time participating in what was, to me, a religious occasion. Perhaps my Mom was teaching me tolerance...

Do they know you are an atheist?

Thankfully, there is no one in my family currently who does that, but I have experienced it in the past, and dealt with it the same way I deal with traffic lights, and all other things that we all must tolerate in order to function in a free society of diverse individuals.

skado Level 9 Mar 31, 2022

Most religious people vote Republican and we conservatives unfortunately couldn’t win an election without there support. With this in mind I just grin and bear it.

That's because you have no balls.

Also, "there", "their" and "they're" are three separate words. Your time would be better spent becoming literate. If you knew the things that most of the rest of us know, you probably wouldn't be a conservative.

ALL the religious people I know are big time Democrats.

@Alienbeing There are definitely a few of those but don’t you think the overwhelming majority of them are conservatives? Most of my friends are religious and almost all of them are staunch conservatives. One thing for sure though is using this website as an example the overwhelming majority of atheist are left wing extremist nuts.

@Trajan61 Since I am unaware of any actual tabulation, I simply don't know, so I won't say one way or another.

@Alienbeing Somewhat interesting but older link:

[foxnews.com]

@Trajan61 OK

Good food, good people, good god.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658584
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.