Agnostic.com

8 6

I am waiting for the nurse to call me back. I tested positive for COVID ( or I am pregnant) There were two lines of the test stick. Now mind you, I had three (3!) Covid shots in the last four months, so what the hell is this? I cough, wheeze and drip from my nose, in the most lady-like way, of course.
My daughters get my prescriptions and throw them on the porch. Brendan ( also positive) sleeps all day. I am watching endless episodes of Perry Mason.
New York has an untick of infections. What is going on?

Spinliesel 9 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When a fully vaccinated person becomes infected, it is known as a "breakthrough infection". This should not really happen with vaccines and goes towards the effectiveness eg a vaccine that is 97% effective means you would expect 3 breakthrough infections for every 100 people vaccinated.

Covid medicines are not vaccines, they are pre-emptive medicines that will protect only the recipient. Not stopping transmission nor people catching it, just lessening symptoms in most cases. They are not providing any meaningful immunity, only boosting it temporarily ie months. Eating oranges, vitamin C, will also boost immunity but we don't refer to them as vaccines do we?
Hope you recover OK and as others have stated, a combination of artificially induced and naturally gained immunity provide the best protection against further infection (scientific consensus atm but that may change; science)

puff Level 8 Apr 14, 2022

I’m having a hard time finding medical verification of this view. Could you share a medically accepted source for the claim that mRNA vaccines aren’t “real” vaccines? Thanks.

@skado Emergency approved ie not finished phase III trials for starters. Need 5 years of data which can be produced for all other vaccines.
Need a booster after months, then another booster after that within months.
There is no-one who is claiming a herd immunity can be attained using these medicines anymore.
Breakthrough infections are very common and expected, which is not what "breakthrough" means at all.
Populations with over 90% vaccinated are still having uncontrolled outbreaks and spread. Even with 100% vaccinated eg cruise ships there are still outbreaks.

There are extremely effective vaccines out there, with polio perhaps the gold standard. But I put it to you that polio would still be kicking around if that vaccine was as "safe and effective" as the covid-19 ones.
During my BA App Sc degree I obtained in the early 90's, vaccines were defined as providing meaningful (highly effective and long lasting ie over 1 year) immunity. That definition was changed in the 2000's, replacing the word "provide" with "boost". If immunity is provided, transmission is stopped. If immunity is boosted, transmission is not necessarily stopped, just suppressed as symptoms are stll there just less severe for the individual.
You are having a hard time finding medical verification as an awful lot of censorship is going on against any dissent from the official line, but it is there. The stink over Joe Rogan a prime example.
A simple question for you to ponder: Can a herd immunity be attained against covid-19 if 100% of a population is vaccinated? The answer should be "of course" but reality is showing that is not the case.
However, a herd immunity can be attained with polio with only 50-60% of a population vaccinated because that vaccine actually provides immunity as opposed to only boosting it.
Pre-emptive medicines are useful and protect people, like malaria pills, but they are not vaccines. This is plainly the case with covid medicines currently on the market. They are not a silver bullet like the polio vaccine has demonstrated it is.
I honestly wish there was a vaccine for covid and that is what medical researchers should be working towards. But no effective vaccine for an upper respiratory disease has been developed yet so I am not too optimistic.

@puff
You’re essentially telling me that you are the medical authority from which this view gains its veracity. And that you are a more reliable source of medical truth than the entire world medical establishment.

In that case… no offense, but I’m still looking for verification from medical experts with real-world medical experience and credentials. Thanks.

@skado please read this, but also comprehend what they are saying Vs reality

[who.int]
[merriam-webster.com]
[who.int]
[google.com]
[miamiherald.com]

@skado Then there is this
"Vaccines. Herd immunity also can be reached when enough people have been vaccinated against a disease and have developed protective antibodies against future infection. Unlike the natural infection method, vaccines create immunity without causing illness or resulting complications."

[nature.com]

@puff
I don’t see the problem. New viruses have unpredictable behaviors, that won’t be fully understood until longterm studies have been done. The outcomes of new medical procedures are likewise not perfectly predictable at full scale. Human language and human intentions are not perfect. Things change. Life is scary and dangerous.

I’m going for my fourth shot next week. I know it could kill me, or worse. I could also get struck by lightning. But right now I’m more concerned with getting my water heater replaced. Cold showers are a bitch.

@skado The only problem I have is the removal of required informed and freely given consent via the state, and the use of coercion. The watering/ dumbing down of science saddens me.
Cold showers are a bitch. Good luck with a new heater.

@puff
I'm not aware of any of that. Nobody forced me to do anything, and I didn't see anyone else being forced. I want my government to have the right and the power to act on behalf of public health in emergencies. It's easy to worry that government power could be abused, and that, of course, should not be tolerated. But I'm not aware of any abuses regarding Covid. I'm aware that a lot of people on the internet are claiming all kinds of things, but I haven't seen any credible evidence. It all looks like fear-based conjecture to me.

@skado Australian law, which was discarded with the WHO declaring a pandemic for a novel virus. I like this law and the "emergency" did not justify taking it away imo. The first vaccine mandated here was for influenza (covid vaccines yet to be developed but pandemic declared), nothing to do with the virus the pandemic was declared for ie a blatant abuse of power. Many nurses/ teachers/ truckers etc were informed "get the jab or lose your job" over here. To cross state borders.....get a jab etc.
We will see if the law for medical consent returns, I have suspicions.
[alrc.gov.au]
By arguing covid medicines are not vaccines, I am actually vigorously defending vaccines, for they are the holy grail of medicines. The hesitant look at what is happening re breakthrough transmissions and infections with the covid vaccines, see they are wanting, and then lump all vaccines as suspect. This is not good as some mungbeans will now refuse to vaccinate their children with real vaccines. My mind works in mysterious ways 😉

Vaccination doesn't completely protect you from getting it, it just prevents you from dying from it.

It's an artificial way of developing inmmunity. Some people seem to think it's a cure or it makes them invincible.

Sounds like you've got only mild symptoms. The vaccines must be working for you.

Ryo1 Level 8 Apr 12, 2022

The vaccines prevent most deaths from the disease. It never says you can't catch it. I got it Oct 2020 and it wasn't pleasant but most of mine was gastric and severe headache.

I first contracted Sars-Cov-2 in February 2020 while in China. For ten days I experienced severe fatigue which was followed by shortness of breath, scary. After two vaccinations last year I contracted Sars-Cov-2 at the beginning of November, however, I experienced no symptoms whatsoever. A blood test revealed that I have two lots of antibodies

I had Covid twice once before the vaxes, and once after the first two. I've had all three shots. The second infection was much milder than the first one. The shots lower the odds that you will have an infection, but if you do get one, it should be less threatening. Rest, don't try to solve Perry's cases before he does, and get well soon.

I know it's scary to hear when you've got pre-existing conditions. I got it in January and had been current on my vaccinations, too (for the reasons @skado mentioned). My symptoms were harsher than some had, no doubt because of my autoimmune issues, but not horrible. Hoping yours will be mild and short-lived. So settle in for some more binge-watching and baby yourself as much as you can.

The vaccines don't absolutely prevent you from catching the virus, but they do substantially reduce the likelihood of severe illness and death. Now is a good time to catch Covid because the current variant is not as lethal as some of the previous ones (especially if you have been vaccinated) but it will give you stronger immunity than even the vaccine will.

skado Level 9 Apr 12, 2022

I have read all your comments carefully and thank you. The pills I am taking now are called Paxlovid. I have great expectations that I will be better once the course of five days is over. I feel better but my coffee still tastes terrible, no matter what I do to it. That seems to be one of the side effects. I did not have the raging fever Brendan, my housemate and grandson had to endure (he is not vaccinated)
I do have those existing defects in my health, old age, ' life-long type 1 diabetes, heart disease, and penicillin allergy, so I will be grateful for the three vaccines I received in the last 12 months.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:660468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.